Q. Is my diarrhea due to ringworm infestation?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2022

I went to a tropical country and became unwell with a stomach bug and have been sick ever since. I need some help. I have taken a lot of medications and have had improvement on the Albendazole tablet, but as soon as I stopped it, everything got worse again. I took 400 mg twice a day for seven days. Three days after quitting, all my symptoms returned. I am passing worms in my stool, what looks like tapeworm eggs, and other things. I felt nausea, malaise, the urgency to go to the toilet, stomach pain around my belly button (small bowel), headaches, fatigue, and weakness. Currently, I am taking Levothyroxine tablets for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I have tried pills like Ivermectin, Albendazole, Tinidazole, and Paromomycin for this issue. Albendazole is the only medicine that has given me any relief. Please help me.

#

I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the images you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Yes, looks like tapeworm. I suggest you tablet Albendazole for one month. Also, get stool routine and microscopic examination. Are any reports done like CBC (complete blood count), ultrasound abdomen, stool test? Do you see blood in the stool? Any diarrhea?

Please reply to the above-asked questions to guide you better about medicines and investigations.

Should I take tablet Praziquantel? I have some here. I can take an Albendazole tablet for one month. What do would you suggest? I did a stool test, but the results will not be back for three weeks. They are not very accurate. There is no blood in stools, not much diarrhea, although I did have some loose stools at the start. Symptoms are just nausea, stomach pain, the urgency to go to the toilet, and fever. Also, I have headaches, blocked eustachian tubes, and general malaise. I have done blood tests and everything is normal. Ultrasound of abdomen also normal. Please advise.

#

I can understand your concern. Tablet Praziquantel is for schistosomiasis. It is mostly enters the skin when it comes in contact with water. Any such incident? Any bath in the river, pond, or lake? I suggest tablet Albendazole 400 mg once a day after food for one month. Keep me updated with a picture. I hope this helps.

I was at an ayurvedic treatment center in a very rural area, so lots of herbal water was going through the skin. I do not know how sanitary the water I used for bathing or drinking was. But I was not in any rivers or ponds. I read that the Praziquantel tablet can also be used for tapeworm. I have attached some pictures. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the image you have attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). This looks like a food particle, undigested. Is it daily coming out? Can you send me a picture of your stool report?

|