Q. Is it safe to give Albendazole twice in a short interval?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

My son is 1 year 5 month old now. He was treated with Albid suspension for worm before two months. Again he has same symptoms of worm infection now. What can I do? Is it safe to give him Albid or other medicine for worm within short interval of two months? Please suggest.

#

• Yes, you can give him Albid (Albendazole) 10 ml at night before sleep.
  • But, I suggest you to give syrup Bandy Plus (combination of Albendazole and Ivermectin) 10 ml at night before sleep. Because, Albid contains only Albendazole while Bandy Plus contains Albendazole and Ivermectin, so Bandy Plus will be more effective.
  • Get a stool routine microscopy test. Sometimes there are cysts of giardiasis in stool which have similar symptoms and treatment is a bit longer. So, a stool routine microscopy test is mandatory. Further treatment will depend on the above report.
  • If worm infection is more, then Albendazole should be repeated after two weeks. So, do not hesitate to give Albendazole.

Previously my son was given two doses of Albid each 5 mL with a gap of ten days. After reading your reply, I got a fear about giardiasis. Today I went to hospital where he was diagnosed with worm infection primarily and the doctor prescribed Mebex to my wife. I would like to know the effect of Mebex on my son because he is under breast feeding. Whether this Mebex will cause any ill effect to my son? Please clear my doubt.

#

I see similar cases in my clinic every day. Mebex contains Mebendazole; this is used to treat gastrointestinal infestations. Use of Mebendazole in mother has absolutely no effect on child even if mother is breastfeeding the child. As I told you earlier there are some conditions like neurocysticercosis in which Albendazole is given continuously for 28 days.

I can assure you that giving Albendazole over short span will not do any harm to child. I think that a stool routine microscopy test is must if child have similar problem again and again. I advise you to give syrup Bandy Plus. A follow up with the stool test is necessary for further treatment. I wish your child a good health.

I am connecting with you after four months now. My son is 20 months old and his weight is weight 16 kg. He is suffering from cold, cough and fever. Doctor prescribed P-250 4 mL every 6 hour and Ascoril LS plus 4 mL thrice daily for 7 days. After 5 days condition does not improved. Then doctor gave Advent forte, it was prescribed for 6 days, 2.5 mL twice daily. He came out of fever but cough remains the same. Doctor then told to continue Ascoril LS plus for another 7 days Then everything came to normal and he was fine. Again today fever is back again with 102.2 degree Fahrenheit. I am much worried about the recurrent fever. Today I have given P-250 two times. Please suggest why this has happened.

#

Welcome once again to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concerns.

Your child has probably got lower respiratory tract infection. Sometimes, there is infection and antibiotic are not given for appropriate time. So, the symptoms again appear after some time. I suggest you to do an x-ray of chest, CBC (complete blood count) and CRP levels (C-reactive protein) in child to look for infection.

In my opinion, you should give,

• Syrup Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Potassium clavulanate) dds 3 mL thrice a day for three days.
  • Syrup Chericof (Dextromethorphan) 5 ml thrice a day for three days.
  • Syrup P-250 (Paracetamol) 5 mL if fever occurs.

Contact me after two days for follow up.

His fever has settled now and only mild cough is there. So, I did not go for any test. After the recovery from first fever my son's habit has changed. He does not show interest to eat any food. He becomes more irritating. He dares to sit for potty, before potty he cries and lost weight in that period. I am giving him Neopeptine 5 mL at night today. Is Neopeptine safe for my child in that situation? How to recover from that? Is there any supplement or medicine to give? What is the right dose of Neopeptine?

#

If there is no fever, then it means that child is responding to antibiotics. Child will eat regularly when he is fully recovered. So, do not worry about it now. Continue same drugs for three days. Neopeptine syrup can be given to child, but it is not mandatory. Dose of syrup is correct. I suggest you to continue the above drugs for three days and your child will be absolutely fine.

|