Q. A 5-year-old child has stomach ache around the navel area from time to time?

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Published on Jun 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2019

My 5 year old daughter has stomach aches around the navel area that happens from time to time. It lasts a few minutes each time and goes away. Abdominal X-ray and ultrasound were done and has not found any abnormalities or umbilical hernia. Stomach pain starts while eating or drinking and also at random times. Other symptoms including the passing of stools about four to five times a day, including while having a meal.

A most recent development within the last week has had several accidents and says she did not feel it coming. This is not normal for her. No other emotional distress could be a reason.

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I suspect three things, it is just assumption based on history.

1. Stomach ulcer, as she had pain after food and water.

2. Worm infection, need to have a look after food.

3. If non of the above, must be ruled out by investigations.

Then it is called functional abdominal pain. I advise you to visit a specialist. She might require one-week antibiotics and if symptoms not settled, then endoscopy also. But the best part is to visit the pediatrician. So he can evaluate her in detail and examine her.

Meanwhile, you can give symptomatic treatment. Kindly consult your doctor to discuss the suggestion and take the treatment with consent.

1. Ranitidine.
  2. Pre or probiotics.
  3. Sucralfate.
  4. ORS (oral rehydration solution).

| 

How can I manage the stomach pain present below the breast on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. I also get a fever during the early morning. Please help.  Read Full »

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

Please suggest home remedies for hot sensation in the anus.

Query: Hi doctor, What are some of the home remedies for burning sensation of the Anus? What is the reason for this burning sensation? It happens whenever I eat outside food. Though I did not eat more spicy food, why it is happening.  Read Full »