Q. My stools are hard and dark. Do you suspect stomach ulcer?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Nov 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

Five days before, I had stomach upset. The doctor prescribed me Pantoprazole, Metronidazole and Albendazole (once) for three days.

My acidity, gas and constipation got relieved. But, I still observe a little hard and dark stool.

Also, there is a mild pain without blood while passing stool. I am worried about dark stool. Do you suspect stomach ulcer?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Dark and hard stool is because of constipation and not ulcer. Gastric ulcer will initially produce burning pain in the middle part of the upper abdomen and in very rare case bleeding occur from ulcer and then only stool become brown colored.

Pain around the anus is also due to excessive straining to pass hard stool. In addition to your mentioned treatment, you should add stool softener to relieve strain during passing stool. Consult your specialist doctor and discuss with him or her.

Once the constipation is relieved and then also you have dark stool, then you should get a stool examination for occult blood to check the microscopic amount of blood in stool and based on which further evaluation will be decided.

Stool occult blood test, digital rectal examination and proctoscopy.

Continue the same treatment and add stool softener. Also, consult a general surgeon once if possible to rule out any anal or rectal cause for constipation.

Avoid constipation.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

If I have an ulcer, can the medicines prescribed by my doctor cure ulcer? I am using Lactulose at bedtime. Please comment on it.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

#

Lactulose is mainly for liver patients. You can try liquid Cremaffin (Liquid paraffin and Milk of magnesia). The treatment given to you is not for ulcer, it is for non-specific intestinal infection (enteritis). If you have burning pain in the center part of the abdomen in empty stomach, then I suggest antacid syrup like Digene gel (Aluminium hydroxide) also for quick relief along with this treatment.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full »

Does my kid have loose motions due to packaged milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 13 months old and 8 kg weight. He is having loose motion over a week. I have given him Oflomac-M and Sporlac tablet twice a day. As he did not suffice, stopped giving him Amul milk and started Isomil. Later he was fine for the next 2 days and when I started back Amul milk since...  Read Full »