Q. What can cause RUQ pain?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I am suffering from NAFLD for the last six months. Now, I am having RUQ heaviness, back pain and flatulence for the last three months. I had several tests and I have given the details below with the findings. USG of whole abdomen - hepatomegaly with fatty liver, fibroscan - 3.2 kPa median value, upper GI endoscopy - GERD grade A and small hiatus hernia, hepatitis B non-reactive, hepatitis C non-reactive, FBS - 94 mg per 100 mL, lipid profile completely normal, liver function test - indirect bilirubin elevated 1.3 mg per 100 mL and others are normal.My doctor advised me to avoid oily and spicy food. Also, prescribed two medicines named Sompraz D 40 and Liv 52 DS. I have lost 9 kg weight in the last four months. Now, my weight is 75 kg and Height is 175 cm. My age is 30 years. Actually, I am having a constant RUQ discomfort and right-sided back pain for the last four weeks. I had the same fine before some time and it recurred again. Also, sometimes I felt tiredness and dizziness. All the reports, which I had shared, are all the recent ones that are taken before seven days. How to recover faster from this situation? Is it dangerous? Also, Please let me know about a perfect diet for me to recover faster.

#

Thank you for the detailed history.

• Your abdominal pain appears to be either coming from your stomach (gastritis and esophagitis) or from the hiatus hernia or gall bladder stones or dysfunction.
  • Do you have any relation of your symptoms with food, like certain foods (fatty or greasy) makes the right upper abdominal pain worse?
  • When did you have the ultrasound of the abdomen? If it was taken in the last seven days, then how was the gall bladder? Is there any stone? Can you upload the results?
  • The gas and bloating could also be due to gastritis or the Sompraz-D 40 (combination of Domperidone and Esomeprazole). It is the Domperidone, which is the cause of bloating.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

All tests were done in the last seven days and gallbladder is completely normal in shape. There are no calculi. I am not having the printed report with me. Regarding food, if I overeat, then the pain will arise. If I eat spicy and fatty foods, then it may arise more. So, I am avoiding fatty and spicy food. Still the pain and heaviness happen in the RUQ and right sided back. Should I stop taking Sompraz-D 40? Also, is hiatal hernia serious in my case? When should I expect to recover from NAFLD?

#

• For the RUQ (right upper quadrant) pain, please get a HIDA scan (hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan). It will tell us about gallbladder dysfunction and help to identify a calculus cholecystitis.
  • For the stomach, your hiatal hernia is small and would not need surgical correction. Discontinue the Sompraz-D and take only Esomeprazole 40 mg daily 30 minutes before any meal. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and stop the medicine with consent.
  • You mentioned that the cholesterol panel is normal. What are your absolute numbers for LDL and HDL?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|