Q. I get recurrent strabismus with a squint in the right eye. Please help.

Dr. Souhad

I have strabismus. My right eye is squinting again and is mostly turned off by my brain. My left eye is the dominant eye, and I noticed a blind spot last year. But my right eye has also become narrower. I went to the ophthalmologist several times and had a visual test twice. Luckily there is nothing wrong with my eyes, and I only have strabismus. The visual test is also very good. The doctor told me this is because I have been looking with two eyes for years but now that my strabismus is back and I am looking with one eye. And the doctor told me that it is normal because you are now looking with one eye and paying a lot of attention to it. He says the blind spot is quite large. Is this true?

#

First of all, concerning the blind spot, this had to be evaluated with a diagnostic test that evaluates your vision field and not based on symptoms. On the other hand, strabismus can evolve from discrepancies in your refraction and a significant difference between the eyes during childhood. Considering that you already know which eye is dominant, you could try and restrengthen the lost link between your brain and that eye by conducting exercises. Close the dominant eye for two hours daily and use the weaker one to watch TV for two consecutive hours for two weeks. This method is effective in restoring vision in the amblyopic eye. Make sure to do those exercises only for distant objects (TV). After two weeks, you can visit and check your vision again

I have a lazy eye, and I was born with a crossed eye because of my lazy eye. When I was 3, I had strabismus surgery. Now more than 25 years later, it is back. All these years, I looked with two eyes. But now, I am only using my strong eye. The doctor told me that it is normal to notice my natural blind spot. Because my lazy eye is back where it was again. He says that my two eyes cannot form one image now. I did a visual test twice. These were good, with no abnormalities. Is it true what my doctor says?

#

I understand that you had strabismus in childhood, leading to a weak eye (amblyopia), and I have already advised you what to do. This weaker eye might be deviating again because the brain does not resort to it as a main source of imaging and takes all the information from the stronger eye. Due to straining pf the stronger eye, the other eye becomes tired of keeping up and starts to deviate (squint).

To revive the link between the brain and this eye, you have to remind the brain about it. You can only achieve this if you block the stronger eye by putting a patch over it for two hours daily for two weeks and then recheck the vision of the weaker one for the difference.

Reminder:- this training should not be used at PC or mobile, it is done in front of a TV and increase the distance from it on a daily basis. To understand the purpose, if you are right-handed, then your left hand is weaker in some cases. If you wrap your right hand behind your back, the brain must train the left hand to do what the right hand can.

But you did not explain if it is normal to notice my natural blind spot more now with my dominant eye. As I told you, my visual field is normal according to the tests.

#

Please upload a video of your eye movements in all directions on far and near objects to see how much the eye deviates. Also, please explain more thoroughly how you see and with which eye. A blind spot exists in each eye (you will see it on your visual field test as a blissful spot in the form of a triangle - upload the results). It might also be possible to see it from a certain angle but not all the time.

|