Q. My life is worse with stress and I cry all day. Please help.

Dr. Anil Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 04, 2019

My life is getting worse day by day. I used to be a brilliant student, but nowadays I fail in my exams even if I study for the whole night. My father and brother are not getting a salary, so we have to spend money with care. My sister, who is very close to me, is getting married, so she is about to move. Everything is going down, and I cry all day and feel so bad that I cannot even express.

Dr. Anil Kumar

Psychiatry
#

Because you are facing so many stressful events like father and brother not getting salaries and sister getting married, this condition is known as an adjustment disorder. If you are feeling persistently depressed for the last two weeks, feeling hopeless, then you might also be having depression. For this condition, you may take an antidepressant such as Escitalopram 10 mg one tablet at night. From Psychotherapy point of view, you have to learn specific coping strategies.

1. Since you are only 21 years old, it might not be possible for you to contribute much financially towards the family.

2. Lower down your expectation level, and do not take all the load on your shoulder.

3. Every problem has a solution, sit with your father and brother, and discuss options with them. Whether they can do some part-time jobs?

4. Great people see opportunities in adversities. Take this as a challenge and motivate yourself to do something in life. But do not try to control the present. Some things will be better with time.

5. Your sister getting married is not a problem, it is part and parcel of life. Accept it.

My ECG shows irregular beats. Can this be due to stress and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken my ECG using a device. I have been getting these irregular beats for about a week. Sometimes I think I have been getting some slight chest pain also but not sure if that is a placebo-like effect or not. My uncle who is a doctor thinks they are ectopic beats in relation to...  Read Full »

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

I am restless as my parents are separating. I need help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have weird restlessness these days, and I do not feel like smiling. Whenever I close my eyes, I feel like smashing something to let out my anger. I do not even know if I should be angry about things that I am worried about. I do not know if they are worth it, but it affects me, and I...  Read Full »