Q. Should I take BP medicine lifelong?

Dr. Manish N Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I am a 35 year old male. I have recently been undergoing a lot of stress in my life in spite of following a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes, I do not even sleep for eight days continuously. A few months back, I have been diagnosed with hypertension and my BP was 160/110 mmHg. My doctor prescribed me Ciplar LA and sleeping pills for 28 days. Then, my BP reduced to 120/80 mmHg. For the past two weeks, there was a fluctuation in my BP level, that is, it increases in the morning and decreases in the evening. Currently, I am taking Zolfresh 5 mg and Nexito 5 mg daily, but still cannot sleep. If I have hypertension, should I have to take BP medication for the whole life? Will it affect my sexual life? After marriage, should I tell my partner that I am taking medicine for hypertension?

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery
#

• Stress is the main reason for your hypertension and lack of sleep. This can be treated by taking BP (blood pressure) medicines.
  • Start doing some regular exercises as it helps in reducing the stress and BP as well.
  • There are no effects on your sexual desires with the BP medications, if taken for a short period of time.
  • May I know the reason for your stress? Also, what is your profession?

Continue medications and exercise

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I am working in an IT company. The reason for my stress is that I am getting divorced after six days of marriage. The bride's family has hidden the truth of her genetic disorder, essential tremor. Currently, I am taking Zolfresh and Nexito. Can you suggest some medicine?

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery
#

As you are suffering from emotional turmoil. Please consult your psychiatrist for physical evaluation and follow his advice.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|