Q. Should I take BP medicine lifelong?

Dr. Manish N Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I am a 35 year old male. I have recently been undergoing a lot of stress in my life in spite of following a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes, I do not even sleep for eight days continuously. A few months back, I have been diagnosed with hypertension and my BP was 160/110 mmHg. My doctor prescribed me Ciplar LA and sleeping pills for 28 days. Then, my BP reduced to 120/80 mmHg. For the past two weeks, there was a fluctuation in my BP level, that is, it increases in the morning and decreases in the evening. Currently, I am taking Zolfresh 5 mg and Nexito 5 mg daily, but still cannot sleep. If I have hypertension, should I have to take BP medication for the whole life? Will it affect my sexual life? After marriage, should I tell my partner that I am taking medicine for hypertension?

#

• Stress is the main reason for your hypertension and lack of sleep. This can be treated by taking BP (blood pressure) medicines.
  • Start doing some regular exercises as it helps in reducing the stress and BP as well.
  • There are no effects on your sexual desires with the BP medications, if taken for a short period of time.
  • May I know the reason for your stress? Also, what is your profession?

Continue medications and exercise

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I am working in an IT company. The reason for my stress is that I am getting divorced after six days of marriage. The bride's family has hidden the truth of her genetic disorder, essential tremor. Currently, I am taking Zolfresh and Nexito. Can you suggest some medicine?

#

As you are suffering from emotional turmoil. Please consult your psychiatrist for physical evaluation and follow his advice.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full »

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»