Q. I have a scab after removing the wart in my arms through laser. What to do?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I had a bump on my arm. I thought it was a burn so I broke it and it became more prominent. It was there for almost two months. So I went to a skin doctor, and they said it is a wart from a germ. They gave me three options. Either apply a cream, liquid nitrogen, and laser (C02fl). I chose the third option because they said it is more effective.

After I did it, there was a scab remained which looked like a burn. It has been four days now. I have been asked to apply Bactrocin twice a day for two weeks and Derma V10 rescue oil after that. From the third day, I am seeing like something spreading from the corners of the scab which looks like blood inside and it is red. Is this normal? Please advice.

#

I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, it is posted inflammatory scab or crust. You need not to worry about this lesion. Whenever wart is treated either with lotion or with cautery or with CO2 laser, in the end, it similarly forms scab or crust as you are having right now.

This shows the germ or virus which was the causative factor has been killed or dead by now. The red area which is lying beneath it is a raw area of skin which will heal once this scab will fall off. Bacitracin ointment is fine. Apply this or apply Polyfax (Polymyxin B sulphate, Bacitracin zinc) ointment twice daily for days. Apply petroleum jelly on it at night. Your lesion is fine. Do not get worried about it.

Human papillomavirus.

Apply Petroleum Jelly or Polyfax ointment.

Your reply mentioned HPV. Is that STD? But I have not been in any type of unsafe contact as such. Do I need to take any further tests? How can this happen?

#

There are several varieties of HPV (human papilloma virus). Only those wart which are located on genitalia are aquired through sexual contact. However common warts are those which are seen on arms, face and beard areas and on hands are aquired commonly. Such warts are not sexually aquired. They occur in patients as commonly as flu occurs.

Now you might be curious how common warts are aquired. First you need to understand anyone can get it and a few causes of getting it are,

1. Zinc deficiency.

2. Any broken area on skin where virus get innoculated from already infected patient.

3. Immunocmpromised state like diabetes or pregnancy.

I hope I had made you understand that your wart is not aquired sexually. Sexual contact is only one of the many routes for aqusition.

|