Q. What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Atrial Fibrillation or Bradycardia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation?

Last weekend, I ended up in the ER department after an overdose on THC capsules. Very scary experience my heart was going crazy, very bad chest pain, shortness of breath, tremor, etc., for about five hours. I had an ECG done in the hospital which said sinus tachycardia. My blood was taken (all fine apart from low magnesium and potassium), chest X-ray was done (all fine). I was given Diazepam and on discharge had another ECG done and it said sinus rhythm although my heart bpm was still over 100 bpm. The doctor said it is probably due to anxiety and let me go.

Two days after this experience, I started getting weird symptoms (slight pain in the chest, lightheadedness). So, I went to my doctor, he measured my blood pressure, heart bpm, etc., all fine but put this machine in between my hands and could see my heartbeat was irregular. He prescribed me Digoxin for five days to see if it would get it under control. I went back again because I was concerned about the lightheadedness, he again measured heart bpm, etc., all fine, listened to my chest and said it is back in more of a regular beat and prescribed Digoxin for five more days and to come back again but at the moment, he is not overly concerned.

I think I do not have bradycardia or tachycardia but I think I could have developed Afib from my experience in the hospital, is this possible?