Q. Eyelids are itchy, dry and swollen, and no improvement with eye drops. What to do?

Dr. Arnab Pal

For the past few days, I am suffering from itchiness and dryness in my left eye. It is also twitching a lot. I used Locula eye drops, but it is not helping much. Today morning, I observed a little swelling in the bottom of my left eyelid. I am working and have to spend 9-10 hours in front of my laptop. I also wear spectacles. My power details are mentioned below.

Left eye: sph:-1.

Cyl: -1.75.

Axis: 170.

Right eye: sph:-.5.

Cyl: -2.

Axis: 180.

It was measured in March 2019. Can you help me with this?

Dr. Arnab Pal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I would like to congratulate you for the very detailed query. However, I would like it very much if you can kindly send me pictures of your eyes for the correct treatment.

It does seem you are suffering from allergic eye disease and now stye. I can confirm the diagnosis only after seeing the images.

Otherwise, you can start eye ointment Chlorocol H apply in your affected eyelid margin with swelling twice daily for one week along with the eyedrop Locula one drop four times a day in both eyes for one month. But I recommend you to send me pictures of your eyes before starting any treatment.

| 

I have attached the pictures.

Dr. Arnab Pal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The images are good enough for the diagnosis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It does look like a stye in the lower lid of your left eye. For the swelling, please use the eye ointment Chlorocol-H (Chloramphenicol) as advised in the last answer.

If you have itching in both eyes, you can start using eyedrop Pataday one drop two times per day in both eyes for one month. Regarding long hours in front of the computer, I advise you to look away from the computer and blink consciously for 20 seconds. Also, I suggest you to use eyedrop Genteal/Systane Ultra one drop four to six times a day in both eyes for one month in the place of Locula.

You predominantly have cylindrical power in glasses and if you face recurrent styes, I would recommend you to get glass power checked. I am sure your swelling and problems will disappear by a week at the maximum.

|