Q. Why am I having a painful swelling in my upper eyelid?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

There is swelling in my left eye upper lid. There is a pain and small pimple from inside at the corner for last two days. Currently, I am using Nevanac and Pataday eye drops.

#

It seems like a mild staphylococcal infection and has caused a stye (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Apart from medicines, you can do some hot fomentation two to three times a day for relief. It is usually caused by touching of the eye with dirty hands or when there is water in eyes. After this infection subsides, please get refraction done to see if you need glasses.

You have to take antibiotics for it. Start with the following:

1. Tablet Cefixime 200 mg two times a day for five days.
  2. Tablet Diclofenac plus serratiopeptidase once daily for next five days after meals.
  3. Tablet Pantoprazole every morning empty stomach for five days.
  4. Moxifloxacin eye drops four times a day for seven days.
  5. Polymixin plus chloramphenicol eye ointment at bedtime for one week.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.  Read Full »

What treatment will help recurrent stye?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I am getting a stye in the corner of my left eye, right under the lower eyelid. It is recurrent for the past six months and itchy sometimes. What would you recommend to get rid of it?   Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»