Q. Suddenly, my left ring finger is leaning towards index finger. Will it get better?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Yesterday, I noticed that my left hand fingers look different that is some sort of out of place. The left ring finger is no longer straight and is leaning towards my index finger. I am not sure if the other fingers look normal or not. But, it is annoying me. The ring finger being bent, leaning on my middle finger like they are stuck together and it feels weird. There is less movement of the fingers. I have no idea what has caused this, but it definitely started yesterday and I did not injure myself. It makes no sense, but is annoying me. What is it? Can I get rid of it? Please look at the pictures I have attached.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology

I have gone through your history as well as the images attached to the query (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is subluxation of the metacarpophalangeal joint (MCP joint) towards the radial direction. To determine subluxation towards palmar side or dorsal side (back of hand), one x-ray is required.
  • The reason for such a spontaneous dislocation or subluxation can be spontaneous radial subluxation of the extensor tendon or late changes in rheumatoid arthritis or trauma. Both of which are less likely as there would have been a clear history of such event.
  • This could very well be spontaneous volar subluxation of the MCP joint, but an x-ray is required to confirm the same.
  • My recommendation is to visit your local orthopedic surgeon or post the x-ray of your hand if available, so that further discussion is possible according to the etiology.
  • Also, mention whether the joint is supple or not and whether all the movements are possible like that in other hand. Is there any difference?

Spontaneous subluxation MCP Joint.

X-ray left hand - anteroposterior view and oblique view.

Revert back with the x-ray to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I just noticed it yesterday. I have no idea what caused it. Is there anything I can do to make it better? I cannot even wear rings on the ring fingers as it is not straight. I do not understand what happened all of a sudden. I am not sure if any other fingers look out of place too. Will they get better? What made it happen all of a sudden? Will the doctors be able to do anything? It will take a very long time to get an x-ray done or anything. Will it get worse if left? Is there any way that it can go back to normal on its own?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology

• I have mentioned already that the two causes are,
  1. Spontaneous volar subluxation of the MCP joint.
  2. Spontaneous radial subluxation of the extensor tendon.
  • X-ray of the hand does not take time as it is essential to understand the pathology.
  • Secondly, you have not mentioned whether you can correct the deformity on actively moving the finger or whether it can be completely corrected by passive force using the opposite hand?
  • The nature of the deformity whether fixed or supple is a very basic examination detail required in such cases.
  • During the initial stages, when the joint is mobile the condition can be easily managed by splints and minimal surgical procedures with near normal function with good cosmetic results.
  • Once the condition progress and the deformity become fixed, then it can be corrected by various surgical procedures and the morbidity increase in such cases.
  • As your other fingers appear normal, it will not resolve on its own and some form of intervention is required by the doctor. There are high chances of progression of the condition with lack of treatment.

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Ask a Doctor Now