Q. Can I have a successful IVF even after having multiple fibroids?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 36 years old, and I have a 2-year old daughter. I have been trying for another baby for more than a year. So I was told to go for IVF. I had an ultrasound recently, and there are multiple fibroids present. I am more worried regarding the submucosal fibroid measuring 1.8 × 1.7 × 1.0 cm. Is there any chance for me to have successful IVF?

#

Please send me your gynecology and obstetrics report, drug history, and your recent scan report. Women's having small multiple seedling fibroids, which is not distorting the cavity, can bear pregnancy with precautions. Women's having big fibroids distorting the cavity at the cervix needs removal (myomectomy) and then they are advised for conception. The size of fibroid you have mentioned is not significant. Fibroids undergo degeneration during pregnancy.

As you have a family history of fibroids, and you have been investigated and advised for IVF, then it is better to go for IVF (in-vitro fertilization) soon after 35 years. Complications gradually increase with age, and so it is better to do it soon. Please send your recent scan report to guide you further. You can have pain during pregnancy due to degeneration of fibroids and plan for cesarean to avoid complications during delivery. Do not disturb fibroids during cesarean as it can lead to severe postpartum hemorrhage. So try to do cesarean under experienced hands.

| 

Fibroids causing painful menstrual period with clots. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38. I have fibroids. The last time I went to the hospital, I had a blood transfusion. Both the legs were swollen due to lack of protein in the blood. I am on my menstrual period right now. My abdomen feels very heavy. And I cant control the bleeding. I cannot user tampons because...  Read Full »

In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)

Article Overview: In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), which is used to treat infertility. In IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries, and these eggs are fertilized by sperms in a lab to form embryos. The embryos are then implanted in the uterus.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Infertility Specialist

Overview of IVF In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a type of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), which is used to treat infertility. In IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries, and these eggs are fertilized by sperms in a lab to form embryos. The embryos are then implanted in the uterus. T...  Read Article

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now