Sulfamethoxazole

Will intake of Cotrimoxazole cause renal failure in aged people?

Query: A 60-year old man was on sulfamethoxazole-Trimethiprim 400/80 three times/day for 3 consecutive days.. His Renal function tests on day 4 were as follows : S. Cr : 2.25 EGFR : 29 ml /min Albumin/Creatinine ratio in urine: 430 No Albuminurea His urine sample is yellow, slightly turbid, NOT foa...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasir

Pain Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: A very good day to you sir I have gone through your above question. there are many cases in literature that have associated acute kidney injury with the starting of cotrimoxazole therapy. this relation is more pronounced in the elderly. so the increase in creatinine in the person is most likely bec...  Read Full »

What causes frequent urges to urinate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roug...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and treatment details. You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks. I have some questions for you. How is your urine ...  Read Full »

What does culture report showing Nocardia positive mean?

Query: Hello doctor, A few weeks ago I went to the doctor with an open skin wound on my face. I was cultured as it looked like Staph infection and given antibiotics. I ended up putting raw, unfiltered honey on the wound and it cleared up in the next three days. There is only a small red scar now. The cultu...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Purohit

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but I require some more information. What specimen you had given for culture and in how many days it came back positive? What are the antibiotics you had taken earlier? How did you get that skin wound? Revert back with the answers to the ab...  Read Full »

How to prevent side effects of Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim?

Query: My GP prescribed Sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS for Prostatitis, and I'm having very bad side effects from it. What, besides drinking a ton of water, can be done to get it out of my system? Male/51 yrs old/5'9"/210 lbs.  Read Full »

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Cardiologist, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Neurologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The Sulfamethoxazole component of the drug is a sulfa drug and therefore, prone to cause significant side effects, or even severe allergic reactions. The half-life of the drug under reference is 12 hours. Hence, with plenty of water, the drug will be fully excreted out ...  Read Full »

Is my acne prescription correct?

Query: Hi doctor, For the last four months, I started getting acne in the form of pustules, papules and small nodules. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but rather than improvement my acne is getting worse. She also prescribed antibiotic Sepmax-DS (800 mg) that is a combina...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should continue with Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a wonderful drug, but it takes around 40 days to show its effect. With Isotretinoin, you may even feel flare up of your acne, which is normal and it should be continued. I cannot comment upon the usefulness of Septra...  Read Full »

Can fractional laser remove acne scars?

Query: Hi doctor, I have mild to moderate acne. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but I am experiencing hair fall. Also, he prescribed an antibiotic Septra. I took the tablets for only two days. I am reluctant to take these drugs due to its side effect. Please suggest an alt...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not take Septra for acne (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim). Isotretinoin is not safe if you are planning a pregnancy. Otherwise, there is no risk. There are alternatives available like Minocycline and Doxycycline. I suggest a capsule Doxy 100 mg twice...  Read Full »

Can Septrin forte be taken for prostate infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have Morganella morganii infection in the prostate. For the past 15 years, I have been getting blood in semen. I had a short course of antibiotics in the past and I also had a semen microbiological test. Please recommend some antibiotics.  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For the infection in the prostate a four to six weeks course of treatment is highly recommended. I suggest Cephalosporins and Aminoglycosides are the best for initial therapy, but ideally it should be guided by culture sensitivity reports. Consult your specialist doctor,...  Read Full »

What can cause an open sore on the head?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has an open sore on his head. It is the size of a softball with redness under it and it is causing a shocking pain into his ear. It is swollen and has caused soreness in his neck and swollen adenoids. It looks like it has mucus or pus, which is trying to come out, but nothi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It just appears (attachment removed to protect patient identity) to be an infected sebaceous cyst that is infected now. I see you have tried to drain it. It should be seen by a physician ideally either in an urgent care or dermatologist or by a surgeon as soon as possi...  Read Full »

Will taking Sulfatrim DS during pregnancy harm the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 weeks pregnant, will taking Sulfatrim DS (Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim) harm my baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not recommend this Sulfatrim DS at your pregnancy age. If you have been prescribed for any infection, please tell the doctor you are pregnant and change therapy. Usually, penicillins are safe to use. Other drugs including Sulfatrim are recommended when Penicilli...  Read Full »

Can I take Sildoo 8 for UTI and urine retention?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old suffering from UTI and urine retention. I am a father of two, height is six feet and weighing 87 kg. I was suffering from mild constipation (first poop is easy but clearing remaining used to take some time from past few months. I used to spend at least 15-20 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep P

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your elaborate history what I could make out is that you had a severe episode of acute prostatitis which was undertreated and now it is chronic prostatitis syndrome. Also, you have severe constipation. Sildoo is silodosin which is a highly potent alpha-blocker. I w...  Read Full »