Q. I have side effects from taking Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim for prostatitis. Please help.

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

My GP prescribed Sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS for Prostatitis, and I'm having very bad side effects from it. What, besides drinking a ton of water, can be done to get it out of my system? Male/51 yrs old/5'9"/210 lbs.

#

Thanks for your query.

The Sulfamethoxazole component of the drug is a sulfa drug and therefore, prone to cause significant side effects, or even severe allergic reactions. The half-life of the drug under reference is 12 hours. Hence, with plenty of water, the drug will be fully excreted out of your system by the kidneys within 24 hours after stopping it. No extra efforts are required.

However, there are several alternative and equally effective antibiotics with much less side effects. A 2-4 weeks' course (depending on the response) of either fluoroquinolone group of drugs, such as norfloxacin or ofloxacin; or, Doxycycline 100mg twice a day would eradicate the Prostate infection.

Consult your doctor, discuss your side effects and apprise him of my opinion. I am sure he will agree with me and switch over to one of the better options as advised above. I hope you find my answer helpful and informative. If you have further queries, you are most welcome to write to me. I will be happy to answer your clarifications.

Fond regards and have a nice day. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

|