iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNephrologysulfamethoxazoleWill intake of Cotrimoxazole cause renal failure in aged people?

Does intake of Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim cause renal failure?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At December 9, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 18, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 60-year-old male. I took Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim 400/80 mg three times a day for three consecutive days. I got a serum creatinine level of 2.25 mg/dL, EGFR of 29 ml/minute, and albumin to creatinine ratio of 430 mcg/L in my renal function tests. My urine sample is yellow with slight turbidity. I have a normal urinalysis. I do not have oliguria. Everything is normal without any abnormal symptoms. I am taking Bisoprolol 10 mg for hypertension. I am not diabetic. Does taking a course of Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim cause this kind of result that mimics renal failure?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your problem. There are many cases in the literature showing that acute kidney injury occurs with the initiation of Cotrimoxazole therapy. This relation occurs more commonly in elders and so increased creatinine occurs due to acute kidney injury caused due to Cotrimoxazole therapy. This relation can be clearly established when creatinine comes back to normal after stopping the therapy.

Treatment plan

Stop taking Cotrimoxazole.

Regarding follow up

You can repeat creatinine after three to four days of stopping Cotrimoxazole.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mohammed Abdul Nasir
Dr. Mohammed Abdul Nasir

Pain Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy