Q. Does intake of Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim cause renal failure?

Dr. Nasir
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2021

I am a 60-year-old male. I took Sulfamethoxazole-Trimethoprim 400/80 mg three times a day for three consecutive days. I got a serum creatinine level of 2.25 mg/dL, EGFR of 29 ml/minute, and albumin to creatinine ratio of 430 mcg/L in my renal function tests. My urine sample is yellow with slight turbidity. I have a normal urinalysis. I do not have oliguria. Everything is normal without any abnormal symptoms. I am taking Bisoprolol 10 mg for hypertension. I am not diabetic. Does taking a course of Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim cause this kind of result that mimics renal failure?

#

I have gone through your problem. There are many cases in the literature showing that acute kidney injury occurs with the initiation of Cotrimoxazole therapy. This relation occurs more commonly in elders and so increased creatinine occurs due to acute kidney injury caused due to Cotrimoxazole therapy. This relation can be clearly established when creatinine comes back to normal after stopping the therapy.

Stop taking Cotrimoxazole.

You can repeat creatinine after three to four days of stopping Cotrimoxazole.

|