Q. Why do I feel like urinating immediately after I pass urine?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roughly three years ago. The symptom includes feeling like urine stays on the tip of my penis, thus the constant feeling of the need to urinate. There is no real pain, just discomfort and I have always had a problem with hesitation and fully emptying my bladder. I have taken Bactrim for three to four weeks and now, I am on a 6 week cycle. I have gotten better and it came back twice during this cycle. I literally have the feeling that I need to urinate right after I urinate. I had a prostate examination three weeks ago and said that it was slightly enlarged, but not concerning. I had an ultrasound of my bladder and emptied almost all, but a few left in. My urine was tested for infection and came back negative. PSA done and there is no cancer. I am looking for advice. Thank you.

#

I have gone through your history and treatment details.

• You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks.
  • I have some questions for you. How is your urine stream, either poor or good? Do you strain while passing urine? Is there any intermittent in your urine stream?
  • It is good that you are not leaving much urine behind on sonography. I will suggest if your urine is negative for infection, then do not take antibiotics again after you finish the tablet Bactrim course.
  • I think your urine passage might me narrowed, which might be the source of your symptoms and prostatitis. I want you to get following tests done.
  • Also, after passing urine you can milk your urethra from base of your scrotum towards the tip of your penis so that any urine remaining in your urethra will come out.

uroflowmetry and transrectal ultrasound of prostate.

Revert back with the reports and detailed history to a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|