Q. Why do I feel like urinating immediately after I pass urine?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Nov 24, 2016

I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roughly three years ago. The symptom includes feeling like urine stays on the tip of my penis, thus the constant feeling of the need to urinate. There is no real pain, just discomfort and I have always had a problem with hesitation and fully emptying my bladder. I have taken Bactrim for three to four weeks and now, I am on a 6 week cycle. I have gotten better and it came back twice during this cycle. I literally have the feeling that I need to urinate right after I urinate. I had a prostate examination three weeks ago and said that it was slightly enlarged, but not concerning. I had an ultrasound of my bladder and emptied almost all, but a few left in. My urine was tested for infection and came back negative. PSA done and there is no cancer. I am looking for advice. Thank you.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

I have gone through your history and treatment details.

• You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks.
  • I have some questions for you. How is your urine stream, either poor or good? Do you strain while passing urine? Is there any intermittent in your urine stream?
  • It is good that you are not leaving much urine behind on sonography. I will suggest if your urine is negative for infection, then do not take antibiotics again after you finish the tablet Bactrim course.
  • I think your urine passage might me narrowed, which might be the source of your symptoms and prostatitis. I want you to get following tests done.
  • Also, after passing urine you can milk your urethra from base of your scrotum towards the tip of your penis so that any urine remaining in your urethra will come out.

uroflowmetry and transrectal ultrasound of prostate.

Revert back with the reports and detailed history to a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I have frequent urination and tests showed up 6 to 7 pus cells. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having frequent urination and tests showed up pus cells 6 to 7. I am having this for three days. I am having a feeling of voiding it even if I just urinated like one minute ago only.  Read Full »

Why do I have a double urine stream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently developed a double urine stream from last week. I have anxiety and had all sorts of urinary tract issues and bowel issues with anxiety. Frequent urination, splashing urination and trouble urinating and I think double urination is the next in line. I had an ultrasound t...  Read Full »

Drinking lots of water but not urinating. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I drank a good amount of water (five to six bottles), but I only peed like 6 or 7 times. Three of those times barely, almost none, came out. I woke up this morning having the urge to pee, and when I did it, I still feel like I could have peed a lot more. I went out this morning and came ho...  Read Full »