Sulfasalazine

How to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6 year old daughter was born with tyrosinemia type 1. She had diarrhea and bloody stools for 10 days, a month back. She was tested for many things, and everything came back normal, except her calprotectin level was 1250 while she had loose and bloody stools. She was admitted and h...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We see many tyrosinemias and IBD (irritable bowel disease) patients. In smaller children, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease....  Read Full »

Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opi...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itse...  Read Full »

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NSAIDs you can take are Etoricoxib 90 mg once daily or Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily. You can try this out and see which one helps more. Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain. Folic ac...  Read Full »

I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do match spondyloarthropathy. It is a sort of arthritis, usually common in males but 10% of the females can get affected. The severity is not so much in women, though. Secondly, painkillers (I am not sure which you are taking) are a good drug to stop the d...  Read Full »

What is the exact cause for my knee pain and swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. My height is 5'4" and my weight is 64 kg. I am suffering from left knee pain with some swelling and stiffness for the past three years. I am taking Sazo 2000 and OXC 200 for two months, but had no relief. I have ANA 48.5 and CRP 7.9. My MRI showed no tears, but...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. Kindly tell me more details about your problem. Since when is the pain in the left knee present? Do you have any other joint pain like wrist or elbow? Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) report is positive. Kindly upload the report ...  Read Full »

MRI of which body parts will best reveal spondyloarthropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male and I was diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy seven years back. I am taking only Sulfasalazine tablets daily. Currently, I do not have any pain or stiffness. My HLA-B27 report is negative. Now, if I do the following MRIs, how much chances are there...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am unable to find the attachment. It is good to know that you are doing well on Sulfasalazine only. But if you are doing well and have no symptoms with normal blood tests, I will not recommend MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to be repeated. The MRI is only ...  Read Full »

Would taking Infliximab endanger pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. I am currently working in a hospital. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic spondyloarthropathy six years back. I had severe pain in the right SI joint. Currently, I am not taking medicines except NSAIDs. My MRI was done and it showed MRI joint inflammation. I was advis...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Infliximab is a pregnancy category B drug that is it has not shown till now any birth defects in babies in trials. So, it can be used if required. I would not recommend SI joint (sacroiliac joint) radiofrequency at this stage. I would recommend yo...  Read Full »

How to get treated for ulcerative colitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from ulcerative colitis for the past five years. I had a colonoscopy twice and sigmoidoscopy once in the past five years. I am 28 years old. I had Balacol 750 mg six times a day and Mesacol enema for a month. Because of short supply of Balacol, I cannot take it for one week...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com We are here to help you. You seem to be suffering from ulcerative colitis and that requires evidence of the findings in colonoscopy and biopsy. This is a chronic condition and requires chronic treatment based on the severity of the disease and the ongoing symptoms. Treatm...  Read Full »

Is Staphylococcus infection dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex two months back and developed Streptococcal infection within a day. I took Amoxicillin to get rid of it. Within five days developed yeast infection and got treatment for that. Now, I have reactive arthritis. I got two painless red bumps on the back of my hand and I d...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Could you give me the exact duration of the disease? Which are the joints involved in your case? For reactive arthritis (painful form of inflammatory arthritis), you do not need much of treatment. It normally subsides by itself. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs...  Read Full »