Q. I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Dr. Divya Agarwal
Published on Feb 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached HLA B27 with recent blood reports.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

The NSAIDs you can take are Etoricoxib 90 mg once daily or Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily. You can try this out and see which one helps more. Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain.

Folic acid supplementation at 5 mg daily and vitamin D supplementation at 60K weekly for two months and then monthly should also continue.

Please do regular physical exercises.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Shall I continue Saaz? My SGOT levels are increasing.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

I suggest you continue for the time being. However, the liver test may be repeated every four to six weeks. If the range is not crossing twice the upper limit of normal, then we can consider continuing the drug.

I have pain and numbness in hands and feet due to SPA. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from SPA rheumatism and the doctor has prescribed Salazopyrin, Sulfasalazine for more than 10 years. I am not taking it continuously. Now, these days, I have pain in my hand, wrist, and my feet also have numbness.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are suffering from spondyloarthropathy. However, small joint involvement like hand and feet joints are rare in SPA. You should restart Sulfasalazine 1 g morning, evening and do a C-reactive protein and ESR and preferably take Naproxin 50...  Read Full

Whom should I consult for my neck pain?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 45 year old diabetic woman. Since past two months, my right-hand thumb is paining. I am unable to hold or grip anything. From past one month, I am having pain in the neck and headache as well which is not going. Now since last week, the pain in my thumb spread to my pinky finger, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhinav Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.For neck pain, maintain correct posture. Sit straight and do not use laptops and mobiles.Go for x-ray cervical spine, lateral and anteroposterior view.For thumb pain, I suggest Etoricoxib 90 mg. If the pain does not subside, then seek orthopedic consultation.Get your thyr...  Read Full

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full >>

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to inform us of your age, duration of symptoms, whether you are on any medical management, the extent of your body joints and spine involvement, etc. Considering all these have been done, I would suggest you concentrate on deep breathing exercises and pranayam...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now