Q. How to treat sunburn injury?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I got a very bad sunburn on my left leg about a week ago. I am almost certain it was a second degree even though it did not blister. It was very red and hurted for at least three days. My ankle was swollen for two days as well. I am much worried about it as I am on holiday and did not seek medical advice and also did not wrap it with a bandage. It has healed quite a lot, but now it is starting to scab around the edges and some skin is turning shiny. I am worried about the scarring. I have attached photos for your reference. The white stripe across is where I was wearing a plaster. The area has now become itchy. I just do not know what to do. Please help.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern

Photocontact dermatitis.

1. You can take antihistamines like tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily.
2. A combination of steroid like Clobetasol and antibiotic like Fusidic acid to be applied over it twice daily for one week. This will help in relieving irritation and also minimize scarring.

1. Sun protection.
2. Avoid using soap over this area for a week. You can apply Calamine lotion as soothing agent.
3. Apply emollients like Cetaphil Dam lotion twice or thrice a day.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

How to Select a Sunscreen?

Article Overview: The most common questions in dermatological practice are which sunscreen to use and while going out in the sun what are the sun protection measures. The answers are here in this article. Read Article

Ultraviolet radiation like UVA and UVB has been well documented to have multiple effects on human skin. It not only causes skin cancer, but also cutaneous aging like seborrheic keratosis, photomelanosis (pigmentation on sun exposed parts), wrinkles, polymorphous light eruption, melasma, freckles, le...  Read Article

What medicine should I take for yeast infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two small sores on my penis head, probably yeast infection. What medicine should I take? I have tried using Cloben G for the same. But, I did not get relief. Please give some advice.  Read Full »

Can I take Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full »