Q. I have red sunburn marks along my shoulders, arms, and chest like sunburns. Could this be vitiligo?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

After I spent a day at the beach, I noticed red marks along my shoulders, arms, and chest that looked like sunburns. After a couple of days, though those spots turned brown, and the rest of my body looked like it had not tanned. I was wondering if this could be vitiligo or something else. Kindly advice.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You seem to have got Berloque dermatitis (those reddish-brown patches) (attachment removed to protect patient identity) due to sun exposure after some perfume or fragrance or plant contact on the skin (phytophotodermatitis) which typically causes these irregular and odd-looking patches. The whiter skin is your normal skin rather than vitiligo. Did you use any perfume or was in contact with plants before sun exposure?

| 

I do not think so and I used a very little bit of sunscreen. How sure are you that this is not vitiligo?

Dr. Kakkar

#

Fragrance or any other allergen in sunscreen can cause that. It does not seem like vitiligo.

|