Q. I have red sunburn marks along my shoulders, arms, and chest like sunburns. Could this be vitiligo?

Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 21, 2019

After I spent a day at the beach, I noticed red marks along my shoulders, arms, and chest that looked like sunburns. After a couple of days, though those spots turned brown, and the rest of my body looked like it had not tanned. I was wondering if this could be vitiligo or something else. Kindly advice.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You seem to have got Berloque dermatitis (those reddish-brown patches) (attachment removed to protect patient identity) due to sun exposure after some perfume or fragrance or plant contact on the skin (phytophotodermatitis) which typically causes these irregular and odd-looking patches. The whiter skin is your normal skin rather than vitiligo. Did you use any perfume or was in contact with plants before sun exposure?

I do not think so and I used a very little bit of sunscreen. How sure are you that this is not vitiligo?

Dr. Kakkar

#

Fragrance or any other allergen in sunscreen can cause that. It does not seem like vitiligo.

Please suggest a solution for sunburn.

Query: Hi doctor,Someone suggested me to apply baking soda over the sunburn. So, I have applied baking soda on the face. The skin around my eyes is getting dark, wrinkles and has some pain also. Please suggest me some cream to get rid of this fast. Also, suggest me some medicine to get rid of sunburn.  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and I have reviewed your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have developed irritant contact dermatitis to baking soda. You should wash your face with plain water only and avoid using soap till the reaction gets...  Read Full

My skin is inflamed and sensitive after excessive sun exposure. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I did something very silly 10 days ago. I was outside all day without a sunscreen, so the tops of my breasts were exposed to the sun until 2 PM. I got a sunburn which is typical, as my skin type makes me prone to it. Usually, it subsides within a week, if not less. However, this time t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems you developed severe sunburn. Sunburn is a clinical reaction due to the acute effects of the sun's ultraviolet radiation (UVR) on the skin. I suggest using normal saline or 1:10,000 dilution potassium permanganate compresses or soaks to wash away serous disc...  Read Full

Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis (APD)

Article Overview: This article deals with the treatment of autoimmune progesterone dermatitis (APD) through homeopathy. Read Article

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis (APD) is characterized by skin rashes whose severity is directly dependant on the phase of the menstrual cycle. It appears at the second half of the menstrual cycle during which the progesterone begins to rise. The rashes subside immediately after menstruation ends...  Read Article