Q. My skin is inflamed and sensitive after excessive sun exposure. What should I do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I did something very silly 10 days ago. I was outside all day without a sunscreen, so the tops of my breasts were exposed to the sun until 2 PM. I got a sunburn which is typical, as my skin type makes me prone to it. Usually, it subsides within a week, if not less. However, this time the tops of my breasts are still red in splotches, with a seemingly brown vein of skin running through them. They are sensitive, and sometimes bleed if accidentally poked with a brush, which has never happened before. I have been applying Neosporin to them at least three times a day. I will try to upload photos. Can you possibly help or recommend a treatment path?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• It seems you developed severe sunburn. Sunburn is a clinical reaction due to the acute effects of the sun's ultraviolet radiation (UVR) on the skin.
  • I suggest using normal saline or 1:10,000 dilution potassium permanganate compresses or soaks to wash away serous discharge, crust, and debris. It will help reduce the oozing and inflammation.
  • Use a combination of Mometasone cream and Fusidic acid cream twice daily.
  • In your case, a systemic steroid may need to be administered orally. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine immediately.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|