Q. My skin is inflamed and sensitive after excessive sun exposure. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I did something very silly 10 days ago. I was outside all day without a sunscreen, so the tops of my breasts were exposed to the sun until 2 PM. I got a sunburn which is typical, as my skin type makes me prone to it. Usually, it subsides within a week, if not less. However, this time the tops of my breasts are still red in splotches, with a seemingly brown vein of skin running through them. They are sensitive, and sometimes bleed if accidentally poked with a brush, which has never happened before. I have been applying Neosporin to them at least three times a day. I will try to upload photos. Can you possibly help or recommend a treatment path?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • It seems you developed severe sunburn. Sunburn is a clinical reaction due to the acute effects of the sun's ultraviolet radiation (UVR) on the skin.
  • I suggest using normal saline or 1:10,000 dilution potassium permanganate compresses or soaks to wash away serous discharge, crust, and debris. It will help reduce the oozing and inflammation.
  • Use a combination of Mometasone cream and Fusidic acid cream twice daily.
  • In your case, a systemic steroid may need to be administered orally. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine immediately.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why am I having red rashes on my body?

.. understand your concern about the skin lesion. It is a condition called lichen planus and it will take few months to subside. The treatment you are taking is good. Apply Clonate (Clobetasol propionate) cream twice daily on every rash. Are you stil...   Read full

From the picture, kindly advise the treatment for my skin infection.

.. to have eczematous dermatitis. I suggest you use a potent topical steroid like Tenovate-Gn (Clobetasol propionate and Neomycin) cream or Halovate-F cream (Ulobetasol and Fusidic acid), twice daily. In addition, I suggest you take an oral antihista...   Read full

Why should not I use Hh Zole cream for long term?

.. cream is a combination of Mometasone which is a mild steroid and Clotrimazole is antifungal. These combination creams are use initially used to control fungal infection with inflammation and itching. But, steroids cannot be used for long time sinc...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.