Please suggest a solution for sunburn.

Q. Please suggest a solution for sunburn.

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2023

Hi doctor,

Someone suggested me to apply baking soda over the sunburn. So, I have applied baking soda on the face. The skin around my eyes is getting dark, wrinkles and has some pain also. Also, suggest me some medicine to get rid of sunburn. Please suggest me some cream to get rid of this fast.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern and I have reviewed your photographs (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). You have developed irritant contact dermatitis to baking soda. You should wash your face with plain water only and avoid using soap till the reaction gets over. Besides this, apply Eumosone cream (Clobetasol propionate) on the affected areas twice daily. Also, use a good quality moisturizing cream like on your entire face frequently and liberally like three to four times in a day.

For sunburn, use a high SPF (sun protection factor) sunscreen gel on your entire face at intervals of three to four hours during the daytime and apply Mometasone cream on the areas having sunburn twice daily. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Continue the treatment for 10 days. Be careful in the future and do not use anything on your face without having complete knowledge about it. I hope this has helped you out.

The Probable causes:

Irritant reaction to baking soda.

Probable diagnosis:

Irritant contact dermatitis.

Regarding follow up:

Revert after ten days for further management.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I heard that the skin would become thin if we used Mometasone cream on the face. So can I use it and nothing will happen?

Please help.



Welcome back to

Prolonged use of Mometasone (corticosteroids) cream will lead to skin thinning, redness, pimples, wrinkles, and dilated blood vessels. Therefore, it should be used under the strict supervision of the doctor.

I hope this has helped you out.

Take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My face is burnt after using bleach. Please suggest some cream.

.. strong cosmetics and bleaches does affect the natural look of the skin. In a few people with sensitive skin, it does lead to irritant dermatitis. The essential step in the management of such a situation is adequate sun protection.   Read full

I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.

Hello doctor,My mother's reports are as follows: She has a grade 3 fatty liver. SGPT and SGOT are also not normal. What should we do now? I need suggestions on what to eat and drink.   Read full

My lesion turned black after application of cider vinegar. What to do now?

Hello doctor,My mother's reports are as follows: She has a grade 3 fatty liver. SGPT and SGOT are also not normal. What should we do now? I need suggestions on what to eat and drink.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.