Q. My lesion turned black after application of cider vinegar. What to do now?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

I have ringworm on my arm. I used Daktarin and that did not work. Then I used cider vinegar and it has turned black. Should I be worried?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern. Also I have viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is irritant dermatitis which has developed due to the use of vinegar. It is very less probable that the fungal infection has been cured.

Proper oral and topical medicine for one or two months is needed to cure your disease.

Remember to wear loose cotton clothing especially when at home.

Avoid hot humid climate, keep the affected area dry and avoid synthetic innerwear.

If any other family members are affected, they must also be adequately treated to prevent recurrence. Also get your blood sugar levels tested.

• Is it still itchy?
  • Any increase in size of the lesion since last few days?
  • How long did you use cider vinegar?

Meanwhile, you may apply antifungal cream such as Clotrimazole twice daily over the lesions of ringworm.

• You may revert back with the answers, so that suitable oral treatment can be started.

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from heavy itching and irritation in the area between thighs near genital area and asshole area. Currently, I am using Candid B lotion and Clotrimazole cream.  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for candidal balanitis.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from balanitis since last month. I am using an antifungal cream (candid B) to avoid it. Till the time I use antifungal cream all rashes/infection disapper, but once I stop applying the cream all symptoms start again.  Sympoms are: Red skin around head of penis and itchiness aft...  Read Full »

Is it safe to apply antifungal cream on the tip of penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching on my tip of the penis, which also becomes red due to itch. Is it safe to apply any antifungal cream on the tip of the penis? Please suggest some good antifungal cream.  Read Full »