Irritant Dermatitis

Skin rashes that develop when the skin gets irritated by a chemical are called irritant dermatitis. The symptoms are blisters, extremely dry skin, swelling, ulcerations, and the skin feels tight. The chemicals that can cause this are bleach, detergents, pepper spray, and kerosene.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have red, puffy, dry, itchy, and sore eyelids with a runny nose and sore throat due to an allergy for the past week. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor,I have red, puffy, dry, itchy, and sore eyelids with runny nose and sore throat due to allergy for the past one week. I take Benadryl cough syrup and use antihistamine eye drops. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Radela Yvonne L. Ramos-cortes

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From the images attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), your eyes looks normal and your eyelids are affected. It is due to adverse drug reaction to eye drops you have used. This condition is called acute dermatitis. I assume that this is the only ...  Read Full »

The skin around my mouth has become dry and darker because of glycolic acid use. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had over-exfoliated my skin five days back using Glycolic Acid, and the area around my mouth became very dry, darker, and pigmented. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. Irritant dermatitis/exfoliative dermatitis may appear due to excess exfoliation using physical and chemical exfoliants. As you have mentioned, usage of exfoliants in the form of Glycolic Acid may lead to irritat...  Read Full »

How to get rid of itchy, small bumps in face?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my teenage now. I have these small bumps all over my face and I think it is an allergic reaction. What is the fastest way to treat and get rid of this? I believe that it is from the cleanser, which I used recently. The bumps are small, but I have a lot of them on my chin, cheeks a...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen your concern in the given video (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you are having irritant contact dermatitis or maybe acneiform eruptions (skin condition that resemble acne vulgaris), but with your descriptions the duration is not...  Read Full »

I have red dots on my face after using a vitamin C serum. Is it due to an allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, My face has red dots, and I feel there is more difference in the morning than the rest of the day. Yesterday, I used a vitamin C serum on my face, which caused an allergy. I am attaching the pictures for your reference. Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have reviewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There appears to be an irritant contact dermatitis over the cheeks and early acne. The redness will take five to seven days to subside. You need to keep applying a non-comed...  Read Full »

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Balanitis can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your con...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for sunburn.

Query: Hi doctor, Someone suggested me to apply baking soda over the sunburn. So, I have applied baking soda on the face. The skin around my eyes is getting dark, wrinkles and has some pain also. Also, suggest me some medicine to get rid of sunburn. Please suggest me some cream to get rid of this fast.  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern and I have reviewed your photographs (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). You have developed irritant contact dermatitis to baking soda. You should wash your face with plain water only and avoid using soap till the reac...  Read Full »

The top of my husband's left foot is itchy, has bumps, and sometimes secretes water. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, The top of my husband's left foot, where the hair grows, is itching. The overlying skin is hard and has bumps. It sometimes secretes water. It has been like that for two weeks. We are trying home remedies for itching, such as garlic and apple cider vinegar. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. This looks like nummular eczema, and another possibility is irritant contact dermatitis to new footwear. 1. Is this happening for the first time? 2. Any history of eczema in the past? 3. Is it only on the left foot? 4. Is the right foot c...  Read Full »

My nephew has a skin infection in the right midfoot. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor,My nephew, who is 5.6 years old, has got a skin infection in the right midfoot. My sister noticed it a week ago. She thought it as some infection due to sweat in summer. Now, it has been the same which is in the attached photo. Until now there is no itching or burning or any irritation or ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that your nephew developed fixed drug eruption or irritant contact dermatitis. I suggest you apply Fucibet cream (Betamethasone and Fusidic acid) twice dai...  Read Full »

Is the cut by the side of penis a herpes infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cut by the side of my penis and I do not know where it came from. I found when there was a little pain there. I was wondering if this is herpes. I last got oral sex a few months ago. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This is not herpes. This is just irritation induced cuts (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to use Abzorb (Clotrimazole) powder two times a day for a week. Keep the area dry. Also, please upload a clear picture of the same. I hope this helps....  Read Full »

What could be the reason for the red spots on my thighs?

Query: Hello doctor, I found 8-10 red spots on my upper right thigh and a few weaker spots on the right and left leg. They are not itchy. I noticed them just this morning.The spots are red in color. Their size is about 1/16" to 1/8" diameter. I am taking Flonase since last week. Should I quit taking it? W...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have viewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) It is a case of papular urticaria, a type of insect hypersensitivity reaction with irritant dermatitis. It is a very common problem and harmless too. It has nothing to do with Flonase (Fluticas...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.