Q. What are the ways to cure Surfers eye?

Answered by
Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have surfers eye or something similar, my doctor claims it is a freckle at the surface of the eye but my insurance does not cover the removal since it is harmless. So, is there any other way I could get it removed?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Surfer's eye also called pterygium is a fleshy growth over the cornea. It is formed due to UV light. Small pterygium does not affect but large pterygium may cause astigmatism and blurring and may need surgical removal. I am not sure about your insurance policy but usually, cosmetic surgeries are not covered.

So, if it is causing blurring or astigmatism, then you might claim that it is affecting your vision. You should discuss with your doctor and he might make a way out for you within legal limits of your insurance policy. Second is you get it done privately but that may cost you. So, discuss with your doctor and I hope he will suggest you the best.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am having little veins and yellow color due to pterygium. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,This query about pterygium. The redness has subsided since this morning and first noticed this, and just left with little veins and a little yellow color. My GP has advised to leave it a couple of weeks for it to disappear. Please advise if this may be the case.  Read Full »

Are there any drops that can heal a pterygium?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from pterygium from last two years. I feel a burning sensation and redness in my eyes the whole day, currently using rose water as suggested by an Ayurvedic doctor. Is there any drops which heal it permanently without surgery? I found one online. Could you please suggest ...  Read Full »

Which eye drop can be used for surfers eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had surfers eye for about two years now. I was not given the name of the eye drops to use but have lost it. I am trying to wear UV protecting sunglasses too now. It is lighter during the mornings and after work, but I need to wear them more. But, the lump is not getting smaller....  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.