Q. What are the ways to cure Surfers eye?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Jul 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I have surfers eye or something similar, my doctor claims it is a freckle at the surface of the eye but my insurance does not cover the removal since it is harmless. So, is there any other way I could get it removed?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Surfer's eye also called pterygium is a fleshy growth over the cornea. It is formed due to UV light. Small pterygium does not affect but large pterygium may cause astigmatism and blurring and may need surgical removal. I am not sure about your insurance policy but usually, cosmetic surgeries are not covered.

So, if it is causing blurring or astigmatism, then you might claim that it is affecting your vision. You should discuss with your doctor and he might make a way out for you within legal limits of your insurance policy. Second is you get it done privately but that may cost you. So, discuss with your doctor and I hope he will suggest you the best.

I am having little veins and yellow color due to pterygium. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,This query about pterygium. The redness has subsided since this morning and first noticed this, and just left with little veins and a little yellow color. My GP has advised to leave it a couple of weeks for it to disappear. Please advise if this may be the case.  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, I feel that you may have had an inflamed pterygium whose inflammation is now reducing with treatment. Pterygium tissue will not dissolve on its own and needs surgery to remove. Although it is possible to slow its growth by lubricants and av...  Read Full

Are there any drops that can heal a pterygium?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from pterygium from last two years. I feel a burning sensation and redness in my eyes the whole day, currently using rose water as suggested by an Ayurvedic doctor. Is there any drops which heal it permanently without surgery? I found one online. Could you please suggest ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very small pterygium. I would not recommend surgery for this small pterygium. I am sorry but there is no medicine to treat pterygium. One may claim anything, but we usually do not recommend any medicine unless it is approved by FDI. You may use lubricating...  Read Full

Which eye drop can be used for surfers eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had surfers eye for about two years now. I was not given the name of the eye drops to use but have lost it. I am trying to wear UV protecting sunglasses too now. It is lighter during the mornings and after work, but I need to wear them more. But, the lump is not getting smaller....  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surfers eye or pterygium can only be corrected by a small surgery. The precaution you are taking are very good, but these are for stopping the growth or stopping the recurrence. It is a small surgery, and you will be fine within few days. Till then, start Moxifloxacin a...  Read Full