Pterygium

How can Surfers eye be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, I have surfers eye or something similar, my doctor claims it is a freckle at the surface of the eye but my insurance does not cover the removal since it is harmless. So, is there any other way I could get it removed?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surfer's eye also called pterygium is a fleshy growth over the cornea. It is formed due to UV light. Small pterygium does not affect but large pterygium may cause astigmatism and blurring and may need surgical removal. I am not sure about your insurance policy but usual...  Read Full »

I have pterygium in the eye and I am suggested for surgery. Kindly give me a opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old female. Had pterygium for 4 to 5 years in the right eye, and in the left eye for two years. It was treated with eye drops, but I do not remember the name. I have not taken the drops in more than a year. The recommendation now is for surgery, so I am seeking a second...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photos, and although they are not of high quality, I can still determine the borders of the pterygium. Usually, pterygiums are operated on if they have crossed the white border of the eye, have reached the central part and are causing visual problems such a...  Read Full »

After pterygium surgery, is it normal to feel the eyelid to be thick?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. My uncle had pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft surgery on his right eye. He was given Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution 0.3% drops for eyes. After using the drop 4 times a day for 4 days, things did not seem right. After peeling the label of the bottle he...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause for his present complaint is due to the surgical trauma induced by the surgery. In pterygium surgery, the mass of tissue is cut and scraped off and then a graft is placed to cover the defect. Our eyes are so sensitive, that even when an eyelash accidentally f...  Read Full »

Are there any drops that can heal a pterygium?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from pterygium from last two years. I feel a burning sensation and redness in my eyes the whole day, currently using rose water as suggested by an Ayurvedic doctor. Is there any drops which heal it permanently without surgery? I found one online. Could you please suggest ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very small pterygium. I would not recommend surgery for this small pterygium. I am sorry but there is no medicine to treat pterygium. One may claim anything, but we usually do not recommend any medicine unless it is approved by FDI. You may use lubricating...  Read Full »

I am having little veins and yellow color due to pterygium. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,This query about pterygium. The redness has subsided since this morning and first noticed this, and just left with little veins and a little yellow color. My GP has advised to leave it a couple of weeks for it to disappear. Please advise if this may be the case.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have described, I feel that you may have had an inflamed pterygium whose inflammation is now reducing with treatment. Pterygium tissue will not dissolve on its own and needs surgery to remove. Although it is possible to slow its growth by lubricants and av...  Read Full »

There is an additional white layer in both my eyes. Please advise a cure for it.

Query: Hi doctor,There is an additional white layer in both my eyes for some time. Earlier I thought it as temporary, but it is not. Please advise a cure for it. I have attached a picture for your reference. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Probably, you have pterygium. It is a slow growing fleshy mass of conjunctiva and elastic tissue over the¬†cornea.It may be left as it is in the initial stage or you may consider surgical removal (a small surgery) if it bothers you cosmetically.No medical management is effe...  Read Full »