Q. Can lobotomy be done for patients with stress?

Dr. Krishan Kumar Sharma

My husband was given Zuclopenthixol injections during his stay at a psychiatric hospital and now he feels he has been done lobotomy and a part of his brain is missing. Like his intelligence, sharpness, cleverness, energy levels, etc. he feels the doctor should have diagnosed his mental state before concluding that he needs such level of treatment.

His problems were stress-related. And now he feels he cannot get his brain back like before and feels like there is no point living. Kindly suggest what measures can be taken to help him?

#

Zuclopenthixol is an antipsychotic medication prescribed to a psychotic patient or patient of severe depression with psychotic features. It is commonly used to control aggressive behavior of the patient. A decline in cognitive features, slowly are possible with Zuclopenthixol.

One thing I want to clarify whether he is sure that lobotomy was done on him or not? You have also mentioned that previously he was prescribed Risperidone. So I think he might have psychosis. A patient of psychosis can have a depressive episode. If currently, he can tolerate Zuclopenthixol depot you can ask about Olanzapine depot which is second-generation antipsychotics and has a less side effect.

|