Q. My mom was recommended a uterus removal surgery. What do you suggest?

Dr. Deepti Verma

My mom is 47 years old. Her periods lasted 15 days. So, she consulted a doctor, who asked her to get a scan done. The scan showed bulky uterus, a mildly thickened endometrium, and a right simple ovarian cyst. She was advised a uterus removal surgery to avoid further discomfort. Kindly suggest. I am attaching her reports.

#

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I have reviewed the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Bulky uterus with a cyst in the anterior wall and thickened endometrium is most likely due to a dysfunctional uterine bleeding. This pathology occurs due to ovulation irregularities and changes in the endometrium and can be treated by medical or surgical means.

A simple ovarian cyst of less than 6 cm, is considered physiological and resolves on its own. You can discuss with your doctor regarding the options for a medical management of this condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

So, you are saying that a surgery is not required and medicines will suffice. Am I correct?

#

• A dysfunctional uterine bleeding can be treated with medications and a simple ovarian cyst of a small size needs no treatment. Usually, we wait for a period of three to six months and try to treat it with only medicines.
  • If the patient's symptoms do not improve in this period, then a surgical treatment, that is, removal of the uterus is done.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

#

I am happy to have helped you. You can get back to me anytime for further queries.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My mom had a D&C and endometrial biopsy. It was told as tissue test for the uterus, and I have attached the results. Can you please explain the results and provide some suggestions. I fear whether it is critical.

#

I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The report is suggestive of suspicion of uterine or endometrial cancer or malignancy. I will suggest your mom go for hysteroscopic-guided endometrial biopsy for confirmation of diagnosis. Treatment should be initiated as soon as the diagnosis is confirmed.

Can you please tell me how serious is this? Are the cancer tissues found only in the upper part of the uterus or in cervix too? How immediately should we proceed the next step?

#

Cancer cells are found in uterus only, and not in cervix. It is better not to delay further investigations and treatment, as endometrial cancer spreads to the surrounding organs and becomes difficult to treat with time.

How will it be treated? What are the medications?

#

Treatment of endometrial cancer is surgery followed by radiotherapy. As no medication is effective, surgery is the main treatment.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|