Q. What could be the reason for foreskin swelling after erection?

Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 22, 2019

I am a 26-year-old male. Since one year, I have experienced that foreskin on my penis is usually swollen, I was initially over cleaning it, but then I read that irritates the skin more so I stopped applying soap. The swelling is visible only when the penis is erect, and I pull down the foreskin, the foreskin forms a ring under the glans neck, and the frenulum also seems tight or swollen.

It is difficult to pull back foreskin when erect, it hurts, but if I use lube or oil, it does not hurt at all. I have also observed the head of the penis, around meatus is slightly dark, this darkness is visible only when not erect, when erect, the head seemed uniformly colored. I am concerned more because I experienced oral sex months back, and after a few minutes, the pulling back of foreskin during oral sex was hurting, it was with a known person, the skin felt sensitive for three to four days after that, I applied Beta mil GM cream and it was fine, the sensitivity was gone, however this swelling has always been there, even before the sexual experience.

So I am confident this swelling rose after sex for a few days, but it was already there. I am not diabetic, and as per 1-week old general body test, all my vitals seem normal. I have attested pictures, for other details, I do not have an erectile problem, I am not sexually active, in fact after the last oral sex experience I thought not to engage until I have a green pass from the doctor. I am 5.10 tall, and weight 68 kg.

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

It seems on the picture you have mild short frenulum. It usually not possible to retract prepuce in the erect state, so it is normal slight discoloration around meatus is normal. You can continue the use of ointment. Avoid pulling the skin too much back in an erect or flaccid state. In the picture, it does not look like that it will require any surgery. In rare cases where retracted skin cannot be pulled back, a condition called paraphimosis then, doctor help for reduction may be required. The only indication for surgery for the tight prepuce is if, too much discomfort and pain during sexual activity. If you have more query, you can ask.

Are you suggesting I must use Betamil GM on the frenulum? I only used it for a week months ago when the swelling was more due to oral sex. My other concern is that will the years-old issue resolve forever? I am nervous about engaging in sexual activity with my partner, and when I am touched, I tend to lose erection fearing it will hurt to do it. It is probably psychological, but it will be great if the swelling could go forever. Kindly advice.

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

Betamil (Betamethasone, Gentamicin, Miconazole) is a combination of few antibiotics and steroid and can be used for a limited number of days to resolve mild infection or swelling. It will not have any effect on the frenulum. If swelling has decreased, then no need to use it, I think your swelling may have been due to excessive retraction of penile skin, and will not require any prolonged treatment. If still, problems persist, it is advisable to visit a urologist in person and get a physical examination done.

Ok. So for how long can I safely use it?

And shall I apply once overnight or morning and night?
Earlier I applied twice, after bath and before bed.

My penile skin moved back and I could not retract back. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sexual contact with my wife recently. Although there was no actual penetration, it was like a trial. My penis foreskin got removed during the process. After two days, there was a bulge beneath the head of the penis with swelling and pain. I am unable to pull the skin back to the orig...  Read Full >>

Dr. Raja Ramesh
Urologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I saw your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).It is a very classical of paraphimosis. It results when you do not move the prepuce back to original position after intercourse.If untreated, then it can cause even necrosis (death of tissue) as it constrain...  Read Full

I had circumcision before a month. Is it normal to have swelling around the tip of penis?

Query: Hello doctor, My circumcision surgery was done before a month. The swelling and surrounding area seem to improve until last month. In the mid of last month when I was cleaning the area, I noticed it starting to burn around the bottom swelling area. During those couple of days, I saw the swelling li...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, it is reasonable to have this much swelling, which will resolve over time 2. Yes, it is usually expected to heal. 3. Yes, the burning sensation is due to irritation. 4. The appearance of tan following shower has nothing to do with healing. This is due to m...  Read Full

I am unable to retract my foreskin during erection. Do I need circumcision?

Query: Hi doctor,I can stretch my penis foreskin completely and I wash it every day. But, I noticed that during erection I am unable to retract my foreskin. I feel that I am suffering from phimosis. What can I do now? Do I need to undergo circumcision? I have seen the procedure on the internet and it looks...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you should undergo circumcision, because it may cause complication like paraphimosis later. Circumcision is a very simple and minor operation, though it looks horrifying to you. It will be done under anesthesia, and so you will not have any pain. Yes...  Read Full