Q. Foreskin is swollen like a balloon after frenuloplasty. Is this normal?

Dr. Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

Yesterday I had to have a frenuloplasty. I had to have a general anaesthetic. I woke up and never got any advice off the urologist because I never saw him after the procedure. The nurse who discharged me told me to take off the dressing in the morning and wash the wound and the foreskin twice daily. My concern is today I noticed my foreskin has become swollen and looks similar to a balloon. The stitches are preventing me from pulling my foreskin back over the glans. So, it has been retracted all this time. Is the swelling normal and due to the incision or is it not normal? Also, am I suppose to keep it pulled back or do I try to push it back over the glans? My glans is very sensitive. So, it feels like an electric shock every time I move.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

You have very likely developed a paraphimosis. It would be more clear if you share a picture of the penis. You are supposed to keep the skin in front of glans. If it is painful to roll the skin over the glans, I suggest using Lignocaine gel and pull it front. After that, the swelling will slowly subside. If red discoloration also is present, then it can be a hematoma. Please share a picture.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

When I took off my bandage, the foreskin had been left retracted. I did try and push it over this morning but the stitches are not allowing it to be pushed. Can the swelling be due to having my penis cut?

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

An incision also causes a swelling, but not so severe.

Keeping the skin behind the glans induces edema causing paraphimosis, which can be relived only after replacing again to the front over the glans.

Due to scar line of sutures and pain, you may need medical help.

But, after applying Lignocaine, you can pull it by yourself to the front. I again request you to send a picture of the swelling.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|