Q. What causes high systolic BP inspite of normal diastolic reading?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

I have been getting unusual readings tracking my blood pressure on my Omron 10 series. I have been following the instructions to try and ensure accuracy. Over the past several days, I have captured readings with extreme isolated spikes in diastolic pressure that coincide with my machine notifying a detectable irregular heartbeat and my diastolic pressure is normally within a very tight range.

However, I am consistently getting readings that jump dramatically as high as 135 mmHg. When this occurs my systolic reading is not significantly affected. From there I take a follow-up measurement, a minute later, diastolic reading normally is lower but still greatly elevated to my normal range. The first few times this has happened I ignored it, but it is occurring more frequently over a period of several days. Otherwise, I do not have any noticeable symptoms. Should I be concerned?

#

I understand your concern and would like to explain that those abnormal diastolic BP value spikes could be due to erroneous readings of automatic Omron BP equipment in the settings of episodic cardiac arrhythmia (probably extrasystolic arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, etc.).

Coming to this point, probably it would be more appropriate to use a manual sphygmomanometer device several times and get an average value. I would also recommend discussing with your attending cardiologist on the possibility of investigating your heart rhythm through an ambulatory ECG (electrocardiogram) monitoring test (Holter).

In addition, thyroid, renal, and adrenal function tests should be tested to rule out possible organ dysfunction.

|