Q. What causes high systolic BP inspite of normal diastolic reading?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

I have been getting unusual readings tracking my blood pressure on my Omron 10 series. I have been following the instructions to try and ensure accuracy. Over the past several days, I have captured readings with extreme isolated spikes in diastolic pressure that coincide with my machine notifying a detectable irregular heartbeat and my diastolic pressure is normally within a very tight range.

However, I am consistently getting readings that jump dramatically as high as 135 mmHg. When this occurs my systolic reading is not significantly affected. From there I take a follow-up measurement, a minute later, diastolic reading normally is lower but still greatly elevated to my normal range. The first few times this has happened I ignored it, but it is occurring more frequently over a period of several days. Otherwise, I do not have any noticeable symptoms. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

I understand your concern and would like to explain that those abnormal diastolic BP value spikes could be due to erroneous readings of automatic Omron BP equipment in the settings of episodic cardiac arrhythmia (probably extrasystolic arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, etc.).

Coming to this point, probably it would be more appropriate to use a manual sphygmomanometer device several times and get an average value. I would also recommend discussing with your attending cardiologist on the possibility of investigating your heart rhythm through an ambulatory ECG (electrocardiogram) monitoring test (Holter).

In addition, thyroid, renal, and adrenal function tests should be tested to rule out possible organ dysfunction.

| 

How to use an automatic blood pressure device?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an automatic device for checking blood pressure at home. There are 3 options of which first says "sys", the second one says "dia" and the third one "pulse'. Which option is for checking the blood pressure and how much should is normal?  Read Full »

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article