Temperomandibular Joint Disorder

What can cause on and off neck and head pains?

Query: I have had off and on neck head pains kind of like a headache. My scalp in the back center is a little tender and when I cleaned my left ear I had pain deep inside. Started 3 days ago with killer headache coming from left side behind ear. Scalp tenderness towards the back of the head.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. I hope you are doing well. I understand your concern. I understood that you are having an off and on headache, likely a chronic headache. for the last 3 days, you are having a new-onset headache, which is triggered by cleaning your left ear, associated with scalp tenderness ...  Read Full »

Can jaw popping with catch be due to TMJ disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about TMJ catching and popping. About ten days ago, my right jaw suddenly began catching and popping with a great deal of pain at the time of the pop. Since then, the pain when the pop occurs has diminished quite a bit, but the right side of the jaw still catches eac...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. This shift in your lower teeth could not be a cause for your TMD. Temporo Mandibular joint is the jaw joint between upper jaw and lower jaw and involves multiple and complex structures like a disc between tw...  Read Full »

What does popping sound while opening the mouth indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I got facial pain, headaches, popping sound while opening jaw, pressure and sometimes neck pain as well. I got patchy mucosal thickening of ethmoid sinuses from a CT scan. I have attached my dental x-ray. Are my symptoms due to sinuses? Or do I have TMD of right mandible? Most of my sympt...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the symptoms you have mentioned are strongly suggestive of temperomandibular joint disorder (TMD), you will need an advice from an oral surgeon and a neurologist. Avoid chewing anything hard on the right side in the meantime. A popping sound heard is the commonest s...  Read Full »

What causes ringing noise and humming alternatively?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old retired internist. I am not taking any regular medication other than Aspirin 325 mg. I have no known allergies and have never smoked. I do not have any medical history of thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases or Paget's disease. Around four to five weeks back, I noted th...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are suffering from is known as tinnitus. It is not a disease itself rather a symptom due to various underlying causes like age related, hypertension, impacted wax, fluid in middle ear, patulous eustachian tube, TMJD (temperomandibular joint disorder), hypert...  Read Full »

Re-treatment with root canal vs. extraction. Which is better?

Query: Hi doctor, I have infection on tooth number 14. I have been thinking about extraction versus retreatment. It is an 11 years old root canal treated tooth. A crown was placed on it 2 years ago. After that, once in a while it happened to become sore. Two months ago, another crown was placed on my low...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sending across the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One of the roots has a huge abscess. The reason is that, it is only half filled. Half of the infected pulp is still inside. This actually can be retreated. But, it might require more ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »

My right side jaw is paining while having food. What could be the reason for it?

Query: Hello doctor, My right side jaw is paining while having food. On consultation, I was advised for physiotherapy. What could be the reason for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There might be several issues expected, 1. As you mentioned if there is only jawline problem, then you should have physiotherapy and warm massage at TM joints (tempero mandibular) at the junction of the ear when you open your mouth, it can be felt quickly. Do warm m...  Read Full »

What causes left-sided headache?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a left-sided unilateral headache for the last four weeks. The pain varies in place, but it is always centered on my left temporal area. Pain can be on the top of my head, cheek, side of jaw and even chin at times. I have also had momentary ear pain, which is a brief one second ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for such a detailed query. Let us break down your symptoms one by one: Regarding left sided temporal headache, broadly it is a little unlikely for a benign tension headache to be unilateral: mostly it is bilateral and band like. My big differential would be ...  Read Full »

I got my braces a year ago and I am experiencing TMJ disorder. What causes this?

Query: Hello doctor,I got my braces a year ago, and before that, I did not have any problem in my jaw articulation. Since my orthodontist gave me elastics to put I have TMJ disorder, my left articulation crack every time I open my mouth or eat or speak (I have decided not to put the elastics so that it doe...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the given history, it can be due to the extra force you gave to open the mouth while on elastics. Based on your age, it can be due to an impacted wisdom tooth. Sometimes, this can be due to any muscle problem too (myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome), mostl...  Read Full »

I have tooth pain along with pain during opening the mouth. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have lower and upper jaw pain, toothache, pain opening the mouth and a neck ache.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have a habit of clenching your teeth very tightly, that is why you are having joint pain on opening and closing of the mouth. Your TMJ must be disrupted. For its relief, take tablet Brufen 400 mg twice a day for three days. And take any best muscle relaxant tabl...  Read Full »