Temperomandibular Joint Disorder

Re-treatment with root canal vs. extraction. Which is better?

Query: Hi doctor, I have infection on tooth number 14. I have been thinking about extraction versus retreatment. It is an 11 years old root canal treated tooth. A crown was placed on it 2 years ago. After that, once in a while it happened to become sore. Two months ago, another crown was placed on my low...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sending across the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One of the roots has a huge abscess. The reason is that, it is only half filled. Half of the infected pulp is still inside. This actually can be retreated. But, it might require more ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »

My right side jaw is paining while having food. What could be the reason for it?

Query: Hello doctor, My right side jaw is paining while having food. On consultation, I was advised for physiotherapy. What could be the reason for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There might be several issues expected, 1. As you mentioned if there is only jawline problem, then you should have physiotherapy and warm massage at TM joints (tempero mandibular) at the junction of the ear when you open your mouth, it can be felt quickly. Do warm m...  Read Full »

What causes left-sided headache?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a left-sided unilateral headache for the last four weeks. The pain varies in place, but it is always centered on my left temporal area. Pain can be on the top of my head, cheek, side of jaw and even chin at times. I have also had momentary ear pain, which is a brief one second ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for such a detailed query. Let us break down your symptoms one by one: Regarding left sided temporal headache, broadly it is a little unlikely for a benign tension headache to be unilateral: mostly it is bilateral and band like. My big differential would be ...  Read Full »

I got my braces a year ago and I am experiencing TMJ disorder. What causes this?

Query: Hello doctor,I got my braces a year ago, and before that, I did not have any problem in my jaw articulation. Since my orthodontist gave me elastics to put I have TMJ disorder, my left articulation crack every time I open my mouth or eat or speak (I have decided not to put the elastics so that it doe...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the given history, it can be due to the extra force you gave to open the mouth while on elastics. Based on your age, it can be due to an impacted wisdom tooth. Sometimes, this can be due to any muscle problem too (myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome), mostl...  Read Full »

I have tooth pain along with pain during opening the mouth. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have lower and upper jaw pain, toothache, pain opening the mouth and a neck ache.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have a habit of clenching your teeth very tightly, that is why you are having joint pain on opening and closing of the mouth. Your TMJ must be disrupted. For its relief, take tablet Brufen 400 mg twice a day for three days. And take any best muscle relaxant tabl...  Read Full »

I get tinnitus with breathing difficulty and anxiety. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, About two years ago, I was playing a video game while wearing a headset with fairly loud burst sounds from time to time, and I noticed a small hissing sound was present in my ears or head when I was getting off my PC. I have always used headsets for long hours before this occurred. Ever ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Exposure to loud sounds creates pressure over your nerve of hearing and can evoke tinnitus. Hence, I advise you to use minimal sound during games. The pain in and around your ears is due to excessive usage of headset around your ears. For your nasal obstruction, you sho...  Read Full »

There is a discomfort in jaw while yawning. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I yawn sometimes it feels like I pulled something, and on my bottom jaw I push on it and something goes up.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your upper and lower jaw are connected with a joint called temperomandibular joint. Similarly we have elbow joint and knee joint. The lower jaw is movable only because of this joint. So whenever you yawn, sounds like that joint is rubbing high and that is why you feel ...  Read Full »

I have jaw pain with popping and locking. Is it a TMJ problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female and for about nine months I have had severe jaw pain and it hurts when I chew and sometimes it pops and locks into place. My parents brought it up to my dentist about two months after it started but without looking at my jaw or even asking me about it they s...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Lock jaw, clicking sound are one of the classic symptoms of TMJ disorders. TMJ stands for temperomandibular joint which is the joint that moves the mandible up, down and sideways. If there is a lack of cushion...  Read Full »

What is causing my jaw pain and ear clogging?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have pain on the right side of my jaw, associated with clogging of the right ear. Sometimes the pain radiates to the right side of the head. Audiometry reports are normal. What might be the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ear, nose, throat, head, and jaw are all closely related. Any problem in one will affect the others as well. So, there are various possibilities that might cause jaw pain. They could be: Any boil, infection or excessive wax in the ear. An infected tooth, imp...  Read Full »