Q. What causes popping sound while opening the jaw?

Dr. Sandeep Menon
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

I got facial pain, headaches, popping sound while opening jaw, pressure and sometimes neck pain as well. I got patchy mucosal thickening of ethmoid sinuses from a CT scan. I have attached my dental x-ray. Are my symptoms due to sinuses? Or do I have TMD of right mandible? Most of my symptoms are on my right side of the face. I am having this issue since a year. Please help.

#

• Since the symptoms you have mentioned are strongly suggestive of temperomandibular joint disorder (TMD), you will need an advice from an oral surgeon and a neurologist.
  • Avoid chewing anything hard on the right side in the meantime.
  • A popping sound heard is the commonest symptom of a problem with the joint.
  • The orthopantomograph (OPG) you have sent is inconclusive. More diagnosis is needed. Do consult both the specialist as this condition tends to get more serious as age progresses.

Revert back with the details to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|