Q. I feel an irritation of the nerve over the left temple. Is it a neurological or dental problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

From the past three months, I am having pain like irritation of the nerve on the left side exactly on the temple of the head, and in the left jaw in front of the ear. This pain radiates to the back of the ear, below the left jaw, and then radiates to the left side of the neck. The pain is often constant and irritating, but doing jaw movement gives little relaxation. Then after four seconds, there is a recurrence of pain and nerve irritation. I was doubting a TMJ problem, but there are no symptoms like cracking while moving the jaw. This pain does not limit the opening of the mouth. Opening the mouth is not a problem. It is exactly not a pain, but more of an irritation of the nerves in the above areas, and it is worst than the pain. I had a wisdom tooth extracted five days back, as the tooth was fully grown but could not come out from the gums and it was still under the gums. I thought the pain was due to this wisdom tooth, but even after the removal of the tooth, the problem did not subside. Please help.

#

• Such radiating pain can be caused by exposed nerves, infection of the tooth or gum, TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder, or nerve compression by the wisdom tooth.
  • The pain is still persisting due to surrounding inflammation after removal of the tooth. Infection can be ruled out because you do not have a fever. The absence of a cracking sound does not rule out TMJ problems.
  • To rule out TMJ and surrounding inflammation, I would suggest you get an oral pantomogram, to confirm the diagnosis. Further treatment will proceed accordingly.
  • Meanwhile, I suggest you try taking anti-inflammatory painkillers to relieve your pain.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. As suggested by you, I asked my doctor about an oral pantomogram, but he advised to wait till my wound heals, as he also suspects that the pain was due to the wisdom tooth. But even after the removal of stitches, the pain or irritation has not subsided. I would like to take a second opinion, but I am not sure whether it is a dental problem or a nerve problem. Should I visit another dentist or a neurologist?

#

Thanks for your feedback.

• I agree with your doctor to wait for the wound to heal, but not more than three days from now, because it has already been 10 days past removal of the wisdom tooth.
  • If still after three days the pain does not subside, then consult another dentist and go for an OPG, to look for any other pathology.

Thanks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|