Q. I have head pressure with low concentration and neck pain. Are these related to brain problem?

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have general head pressure (or tension) and I suspect brain problem. GP seems to treat my symptoms as we struggle to find the root cause. My concentration level seems impaired, though not severely. I get feelings like I would pass out at times.

I get weak joints at times (hands, knees, etc.) perhaps slight tremors when the pressure is severe. The hemoglobin value was 15. I read that thyroid could cause brain issues, but I have not tested for this yet. I get lower left neck pain or tension at times. I have taken PPI for ulcer and read that it can hinder iron absorption. I have also consumed a lot of raw cabbage for a few days for ulcers and read that it can hinder vitamin B12 absorption. It has been over one or two weeks now since I stopped by this pressure, but it seems to come and go. Or do I need vitamin B12 supplements to kick start?

I get nausea at times. Ulcer started when I was taking Aspirin for angina. I have been off Aspirin and with no angina for two months or so now. But it has only been a few weeks since I quit the PPI. The ulcers and angina therapy had me seating (leaning on my back and head) for several days and wonder if some neck or back muscle got hurt and now causes the head pressure and left lower neck tension.

Or could it be that my heart state declined into congested heart failure after the angina case? And now not supplying enough blood to the brain? The oxygen meter saturation meter shows 96-98%, though. I have noticed that I seem to struggle to breathe properly at night (sleep apnea perhaps) and wonder if this could be when the brain starves of oxygen. Kindly advise.

#

You are having pressure or tension-type feeling over head. Lack of concentration, feeling of impending doom like sensation, slowed cognition, lower neck pain, and weak joints all are symptoms of primary muscle tension headache.

Your hemoglobin is normal. Do thyroid function tests and take Iron and B12 supplements for six weeks as you are suffering from this symptoms after that if needed.

For angina and Aspirin , you should consult a cardiologist.

I am reassuring you that it is not a problem of brain. it is problem of increased muscle tension around head and neck. It is commonly associated with anxiety and impending doom like sensation.

Suggestions : Maintain adequate and regular sleep cycle. Do regular physical exercise and meditation for mind calming. Avoid stressful event.

Medications: Tablet Amitriptyline 10 mg 0---0----1 at 8 PM daily for 20 days, tablet Tizanidine 2 mg 1----0----1 for 10 days. These drugs will relieve your head pressure and lower neck tension.

Duly noted and will follow the same.

#

Yes. You should do all.

|