Q. What are all the conditions that may cause ear pain?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My friend is frequently suffering from an outer ear pain these days. She told me that since she tends to catch a cold, it might be due to that. I fixed an appointment with an ENT yesterday, but surprisingly he told that she does not have any issues with her ear, nose, and throat. It might be a cold symptom. The cause of the pain could not be identified. Has it got something to do with any nerve syndromes as the doctor asked her to consult a neurologist or to perform a CT scan?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology

Your friend has been taking Franxit (Amitriptyline, Chlordiazepoxide) for how long? Any anti-depressant medication should not be abruptly stopped, and all somatic symptoms and even fatigue, headache, and nervous instability could be related to sudden withdrawal also. Moreover, taking into consideration of outer ear pain, otitis external must be ruled out.

Does she have glue in the ear? Does she feel fullness inside the ear? Neurological problems related to the ear could be due to facial nerve insult due to virus -HZV (Ramsay Hunt syndrome) and there would be blisters in the ear which is less likely in her. Other than the above, I do not think any other neurological cause for the pain you mentioned. Does she complain of any face deviation? If not, no need to panic.

Sudden anti-depressant stopping.

Facial palsy to rule out.

Post antidepressant withdrawal.

Resume Franxit and withdraw slowly for a period of six to eight weeks.

She may need a neurologist review to rule out seventh nerve paresis.

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tube called e...  Read Full

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management: ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now