Q. What type of cancer is a germ cell tumor?

Dr. Pratik Patil
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 30, 2019

Recently I came to know that my ward has a germ cell tumor. He is undergoing surgery for the removal of right testes today. It is unknown whether he is affected with cancer if so, what is the type and whether it is curable or not? How long will this take and what are the steps should be considered for the treatment? Please help me because I am depressed.

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

This is a high-grade testicular germ cell tumor (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The molecular markers such as hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) are high. Also its spread to the liver and adjacent lymph nodes.

Ideally, the primary tumor in testis has to be removed and then treated with a chemotherapy called BEP (bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin) regimen for the rest of the metastatic disease. If after surgery, his markers fall, and if he responds very well to chemotherapy, we can expect a cure where we could do a stem cell transplant in the future. But for now, his plan would be a surgery followed by chemotherapy. Also, consider semen preservation before surgery and chemotherapy.

Is this cancer? Can this be cured? What type of cancer is this and how long it may take to be fully cured?

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

This is proven to be cancer that has spread to the liver and some lymph nodes in the abdomen. It is called as a seminoma (germ cell tumor). It can be fully cured provided the disease responds to chemotherapy. These tumors are susceptible to chemotherapy, so please initiate the treatment as soon as possible without delay. The lesions in the liver and abdomen are small and can be treated.

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now