Q. Would the surgery to correct undescended testicle cause any side effect?

Answered by Dr. Aman Gupta and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan


Do you have a question on Undescended Testis or Testicle Correction? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

My son who is 11 years old now has a undescended right testicle. Ultrasound determined that it was in the inguinal canal when he was 8 years old. We have been waiting for it to come down, but it has not. Does the surgery to correct the testicle improve fertility? Or does it lessen the chance of malignancy? I would like to monitor through ultrasound. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this course of action.

Related Questions:
I have cryptorchidism. Should my testicle be moved or removed?
What is the role of undescended testis in fertility?
Pregnancy test is negative, but I have breast secretions. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Aman Gupta
Andrology, Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I suggest that surgical correction should be done to bring it down as low as possible. Reason being, it permits self palpation of testis for early detection of any tumor.

Frequent ultrasound is not feasible or practical to think of. Self palpation can be done every day. Ultrasound cannot be done every day. Surgery is a minor one. If it is already shrunken, in my opinion the surgeon may suggest removal of it. Do not be afraid and go ahead.


Hi doctor,

I spoke with another doctor who said yearly ultrasound is an option. There is no risk with that option just the possibility of follow through. In my opinion, the risk of major surgery seems to outweigh monitored malignant risk. Other than the risk of malignancy and not being able to do self-exam, is there any other reason for this surgery?


Dr. Aman Gupta
Andrology, Urology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

No, there is no other reason except the ability to do self-examination.

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Can I lead a normal life with just one testis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. I have only one testis. I have sexual feelings as a normal man would do. I am masturbating about once every week. Will a single testis cause any problem in the future? Recently, I had my first sex with my partner. At that time I was tensed and also had difficu...  Read Full »
Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears you are having a condition called cryptorchidism in which one of the testes is not present in the scrotum. There could be one of the two possibilities, either your testis has not developed at all or it has developed normally but has failed to move into th...  Read Full »
Mantoux test is positive. Am I suffering from tuberculosis?
Query: Hi doctor, I had pulmonary tuberculosis in my teen age. After a full course of ATT, I was recovered and no findings on sputum and x-ray. Now, I am 30 years old. I have left lower abdomen pain since two to three years. But, it is not severe. The pain is intermittent and often relieved by passing stoo...  Read Full »
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mantoux positive is showing sensitivity to tuberculin antigen. It is a screening test and not a confirmatory test. If it comes positive, then do TB PCR (tuberculosis polymerase chain reaction) for confirmation. If that too comes positive, then it means there is a c...  Read Full »
How can both testes be made of the same size?
Query: Hello doctor, I had cryptorchidism surgery at the age of 9. Now, I am 24. My left testicle is 2.4 x 3.4 cm. My right testicle is 4.5 x 5.6 cm. I have been prescribed best tablets to increase the size of testis on the left side. Both my epididymides are out of testicles thus making them long. I am f...  Read Full »
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have unequal testes. First of all, I would like to inform you that the most parable reason for the unequal size of testes is due to the very illness known as cryptorchidism. Unfortunately, there is no other treatment modality which can make the size of ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Sepsis - Causes|Symptoms|Risk Factors|Diagnoses|Treatments|Prevention
Sepsis is a medical emergency, as it causes multiple organ failure. When the body's response to infection in the blood s...  Read more »
I have on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Is this esophageal cancer?
Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dy...  Read more »
There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an...  Read more »

Also Read Answers From