Q. Would the surgery to correct undescended testicle cause any side effect?

Answered by Dr. Aman Gupta and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Undescended Testis or Testicle Correction? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son who is 11 years old now has a undescended right testicle. Ultrasound determined that it was in the inguinal canal when he was 8 years old. We have been waiting for it to come down, but it has not. Does the surgery to correct the testicle improve fertility? Or does it lessen the chance of malignancy? I would like to monitor through ultrasound. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this course of action.