Q. Would the surgery to correct undescended testicle cause any side effect?

Dr. Aman Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

My son who is 11 years old now has a undescended right testicle. Ultrasound determined that it was in the inguinal canal when he was 8 years old. We have been waiting for it to come down, but it has not. Does the surgery to correct the testicle improve fertility? Or does it lessen the chance of malignancy? I would like to monitor through ultrasound. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this course of action.

Dr. Aman Gupta

Andrology Urology
#

I suggest that surgical correction should be done to bring it down as low as possible. Reason being, it permits self palpation of testis for early detection of any tumor.

Frequent ultrasound is not feasible or practical to think of. Self palpation can be done every day. Ultrasound cannot be done every day. Surgery is a minor one. If it is already shrunken, in my opinion the surgeon may suggest removal of it. Do not be afraid and go ahead.

| 

I spoke with another doctor who said yearly ultrasound is an option. There is no risk with that option just the possibility of follow through. In my opinion, the risk of major surgery seems to outweigh monitored malignant risk. Other than the risk of malignancy and not being able to do self-exam, is there any other reason for this surgery?

Dr. Aman Gupta

Andrology Urology
#

No, there is no other reason except the ability to do self-examination.

| 

Can I lead a normal life with just one testis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. I have only one testis. I have sexual feelings as a normal man would do. I am masturbating about once every week. Will a single testis cause any problem in the future? Recently, I had my first sex with my partner. At that time I was tensed and also had difficu...  Read Full »

Mantoux test is positive. Am I suffering from tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulmonary tuberculosis in my teen age. After a full course of ATT, I was recovered and no findings on sputum and x-ray. Now, I am 30 years old. I have left lower abdomen pain since two to three years. But, it is not severe. The pain is intermittent and often relieved by passing stoo...  Read Full »

How to make both testicles the same size?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cryptorchidism surgery at the age of 9. Now, I am 24. My left testicle is 2.4 x 3.4 cm. My right testicle is 4.5 x 5.6 cm. I have been prescribed best tablets to increase the size of testis on the left side. Both my epididymides are out of testicles thus making them long. I am f...  Read Full »