Q. Can hormonal acne indicate sensitivity to testosterone?

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf.

Do you have a question on Testosterone Level or Acne? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been suffering from hormonal acne for almost nine years now. I do not have any other medical problems nor I am on any medications currently. I did some investigations to rule out what my problem is exactly, testosterone, DHEA, FSH, LH, progesterone, TFT, RBS and the results of all of them were within the normal range, except for prolactin that was slightly high. I could not do the DHT test. Am I hyperestrogenic? I do not know, but I can request for estradiol from my GP. I do not have the symptoms of excess estrogen though except for breast pain sometimes. I am breaking out 7 to 10 days prior to my periods each and every month, my periods are regular, so I thought that as in these days, the estrogen is the one which drops and the testosterone remain there and have a chance to cause more acne. I might be sensitive to testosterone? Although it is within the normal range as I have other symptoms of high testosterone like thick hair under my chin, on my chest, above my lips and hair shedding (I feel it is more than usual as I have thin hair) and of course oily skin. So that is why I was thinking of taking (Dim) for its anti-androgenic effects. Or shall I ask for Spironolactone? Will they prescribe it for me? Then is it better to check with a dermatologist or an endocrinologist?