Q. Is thalassemia minor genetic?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

My girlfriend has thalassemia minor trait and I am a healthy individual person. If I get married to my girlfriend, is there a risk of this trait for my future children? Please give me some advice. Thanks a lot.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Thalassemia inheritance is an autosomal chromosome related. In thalassemia minor, one gene is affected.
  • There is a 50% risk in the next generation of having thalassemia minor, as you are completely normal.
  • Chromosomal analysis around 14 weeks of conception can help in confirming and continuation of pregnancy. If normal, then it can be continued.
  • As you might have seen, thalassemia minor is a mild disease. However, good planning can help in getting a healthy kid.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|