Q. Is thalassemia minor genetic?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

My girlfriend has thalassemia minor trait and I am a healthy individual person. If I get married to my girlfriend, is there a risk of this trait for my future children? Please give me some advice. Thanks a lot.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Thalassemia inheritance is an autosomal chromosome related. In thalassemia minor, one gene is affected.
  • There is a 50% risk in the next generation of having thalassemia minor, as you are completely normal.
  • Chromosomal analysis around 14 weeks of conception can help in confirming and continuation of pregnancy. If normal, then it can be continued.
  • As you might have seen, thalassemia minor is a mild disease. However, good planning can help in getting a healthy kid.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Can you please go through my electrophoresis report and tell me if I have thalassemia minor?

Query: Hi doctor, Could you please go through my reports and tell me if I have thalassemia minor? I have attached my electrophoresis test reports. Some of the values in the report are Hb F - 0.8 %, Hb adult - 66.0 %, Hb A2 - 30.8 % and other non-specific - 2.4 %.  Read Full »

Is mild hydrocephalus dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor, My present ultrasound is showing mild hydrocephalus with breech presentation (36 weeks) dilated 13 mm ventricle. No genetic disorder reported earlier done in second trimester. All the previous ultrasound showed normal and sound growth of fetus. Reports attached for your reference. Thank y...  Read Full »

Cancer in Pregnancy: a Multifaceted dilemma

Article Overview: The incidence of cancer being diagnosed during pregnancy has increased because of delayed child-bearing age, advanced imaging techniques during antenatal care, and the known occurrence of age-dependent malignancies. Read Article

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Cancer, as of now, is considered to be a disease of lifestyle and majority of cancers occur in middle and late age. With the postponement of marriage and childbearing to late thirties, it is not surprising, that number of women diagnosed with pregnancy and concomitant cancer is increasing. Further, ...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now