Q. Why do I feel weak and anemic even though my RBC count is high?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

Please find the attachment of my blood report. I am concerned that I may be suffering from anemia. I have had fatigue and weakness for many months. I also have a tingling feeling in my legs and hands.

#

You are not having anemia as per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your Hb level is within the limit. So, you do not require treatment for anemia.

You can have thalassemia minor or a similar condition in which the RBC (red blood cell) count is high. So, to rule out thalassemia minor, investigate with Hb electrophoresis by HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) method.

For fatigue and tingling, a neurological examination is advisable. If the cause is not evident then investigations like NCV (nerve conduction velocity) and EMG (electromyography) can be planned for further work up.

For examination, you can consult a nearby neurologist and if he feels it is necessary, a spinal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or EMG can be planned.

Sometimes excess work, less sleep, and chronic anxiety can also lead to such a presentation.

Hope this will help you.

|