Q. What causes dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Published on Jan 25, 2019

For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only going through my head but sometimes my body too. I am finding it very difficult to concentrate on anything and bright lights hurt my head too.

Dr. Geethu Thomas

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Based on descriptive history, I come to the conclusion that it started off as a viral infection (a sore throat) and has progressed to a secondary bacterial infection which has manifested as a cough with phlegm and due to phlegm accumulation in your sinuses, you are experiencing strange sensations in your head.

I would advise you to go for saline gargles (lukewarm water with a pinch of salt added) and Betadine sore throat gargles alternatively till you get your throat clear. Try swallowing a tablespoon of honey twice a day to soothen your throat. Start a course of Azithromycin antibiotic as it is the best suited for such respiratory infection and you will only have to take three tablets in a total of 500 mg once a day for three days. And start an expectorant cough syrup which has Guaphenisin in the contents, take 10 ml each thrice a day, it will relieve you of the phlegm. Take care.

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is herpes zoster, which is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus in the body due to an immunocompromised status like pregnancy. But thankfully, the effects are not disastrous for the unborn baby as your wife already has antibodies against the virus in her b...  Read Full

What homeopathic medicine can be used for frequent throat and viral infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 5 years 5 months old son who weighs 21 kg. He has frequent bouts of throat and viral infection accompanied by a runny nose. I give him two to three tablets of Bakson's flu aid and sometimes 10 to 15 drops of R6 of homeopathic medicine. Is it the right dose of treatment? What is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normal weight at 5 years 5 months should be 15 kg, but your baby has more than normal weight. You are using some combinations of medicines, which are not a true homeopathic treatment. Whether your baby is sensitive to cold? Sweating is normal or not? Which part of t...  Read Full

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you have an upper respiratory tract infection. You need to do the following investigations. Physical examination. Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Throat swab for culture or ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer. If auscultation is suspicious, ...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now