Q. I have enlarged bumps on the back of my tongue. Is that due to fungal infection?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on May 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I am a 29 year old male. I have some enlarged bumps and white lesion on the back of my tongue. I thought that I had a gum problem because my saliva was often brownish and I had a funny taste in my mouth. Now, I believe that I have some fungus infection. It looks exactly like on the picture I have attached, but only in the back of my tongue. What kind of treatment should I need?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• There are four types of papillae on the surface of the tongue that help us to differentiate all the taste sensation. Circumvallate papillae are situated in V-shape at the junction of the anterior two-third and posterior one-third of the tongue.
  • These become swollen in times of inflammation, late infection, burning tongue by eating hot foods, smoking, cancer and some types of oral cancer. The whitish coating looks like coated tongue and less likely to be due to fungal infection.
  • Do you smoke? Kindly stop smoking if you have a habit of. Since how many days it has been like that?
  • Use Listerine mouthwash rinses with water and gargle three times a day. Avoid hot foods, do brushing twice a day and wait for five days for improvement.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I smoke two packs of cigarette a month. It has been going on for months now. I have bought some Listerine. I do have some grayish patches on my tongue as in the picture. Could that be giving me the bad taste and brownish saliva?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• Your dental hygiene is poor, so use mouthwash two times a day regularly.
  • Stop smoking and wait for a week. If there is no improvement, then kindly consult a local doctor.

| 

Can passive smoking cause SIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, I smoke, and I usually avoid smoking around other people. However, I work at a hospital, and I went outside the hospital, and I lit up a cigarette. I did not notice that there was a woman with a baby, and I stood near them smoking for quite a few seconds. Now I am worried that the bab...  Read Full »

How to remove yellowness from teeth?

Query: Hello, My teeth are very yellow. How can I remove yellowness from teeth and make them white at home? If I go and do the cleaning with a dentist, how much would it cost?  Read Full »