Q. My friend has a throat infection. I was along with him while he had the infection. Could I have a throat infection?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 15 years old and my friend has a throat infection. I was along with him while he had the infection and now the roof of my mouth and throat is kind of sore. It feels like there is mucus stuck there and I have a weird taste in my mouth.

Could I have a throat infection? And if I do, is there anything I can do at home to get rid of this sore throat?

Dr. A K Srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand your concern. There are chances of spread of throat infection through:

• The air we breathe.
  • Direct contact like kissing, etc.
  • Sharing spoon or fork while taking food.
  • Sharing the cigarette while smoking.

Thus, there are fair chances that you might have acquired infection from your friend. You may now go for these investigations:

• Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.
  • Gram's staining of throat swab.
  • In the meantime, you may do warm saline gargling and steam inhalation for temporary relief.

If report shows any infection like staphylococcus then consult an ENT otolaryngologiist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|