Q. My wrist and thumb have been hurting more frequently after injury. Kindly help.

Why has my wrist and thumb been hurting more frequently? Two years ago I fell on my thumb hyper-extending it and fracturing it in the process. Doctors that I have gone to said I have tendonitis in it now and that is why it hurts in the first place though no testing has been done to confirm it. It used to only hurt when I overused it in band and percussion and for some odd reason when it was about to storm. Lately though it has been hurt more and more frequently enough to have begun interrupting my everyday life. I take anti-inflammatories prescribed to me regularly and a brace when it acts up. The brace is slightly lower than my wrist and extends up into my thumb so it will support the areas that need supporting. Is it just progressing into a worse form of tendonitis? Am I making it worse by playing the instruments? What do you think?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It can very well be tendonitis or some kind of arthritis secondary to damage. I think you should undergo MRI of lower forearm and hand so that we will confirm the diagnosis of tendonitis and rule out other pathology. Regarding management you can better try topical antiinflammatory drugs like Diclofenac gel rather than oral drugs. You should avoid strenuous activity. Exercise program with gradual loading of the joint will be helpful. These exercises can be taught to orthopedician or physiotherapists.

| 

Can tablet Diclomol decrease platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, Can tablet Diclomol be taken to reduce temperature? Will it decrease platelet count?  Read Full »

What could be the pain and swelling in Achilles tendon with tingling sensation?

Query: Hello doctor, I dislocated my right ankle before 14 years and had an operation after one year. Ever since then I have a sheer sharp pain go up to my Achilles tendon lasting for 20 seconds. What causes it? Recently, it is getting worse and swelling has formed around the tendon and there is pain arou...  Read Full »