Q. Can mixed spongiform thyroid nodules be malignant ?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a female, 32 years old. I do not understand what my ultrasound report means. My gynecologist and PCP both felt a large mass on the right side of thyroid and told me that they have to refer me out and I need another biopsy. The last biopsy was a year back and it was benign. It was a solid dense nodule measuring 1.3 cm. All thyroid tests are normal.

Can mixed spongiform nodules be malignant if they are hypoechoic, vascular, lobular and with peripheral calcification? I cannot find anything regarding other abnormal feature with mixed spongiform nodules.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have a thyroid nodule.

According to the guidelines, if the nodule is more than 75 % of spongiform appearance, then they are benign and if less than 75% then there is a chance of malignancy which must be confirmed by FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). In your ultrasound, there is no percentage depiction of the spongiform portion.

Secondly, the malignant nodule has hypoechogenicity and microcalcifications which is present in your report. Please, it is my advice to you to not come to any conclusion before an FNAC.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

What is increased flow and taller than wide measurements? Are spongiform nodules lobular?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Naturally, it is an extra tissue which takes up blood supply. It is not a definitive criteria based on blood flow and the height pattern. Yes, the spongiform nodule can be lobular.

| 

Cervical Cancer - Causes and Prevention

Article Overview: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer everyday. Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. Read Article

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Trivia: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer every day. Cervical cancer is the second largest cancer affecting women's health. What Causes Cervical Cancer? Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. ...  Read Article

How is thyroid cancer diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old male. My recent ultrasound of thyroid revealed multiple bilateral ganglion formation in area IV. The most prominent was 11 x 8 mm diameter in lower right cervical area. It was mentioned homogeneous thyroid. My doctor suggests clinical follow up due to the number of gang...  Read Full »

I have two lumps in my throat. Does the ultrasound of my thyroid indicate a potential malignancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I felt two lumps in my throat next to my thyroid, so I was sent for thyroid and lymph node ultrasound. For over a year, my symptoms like fatigue, sweating, lack of concentration, etc., have been slowly getting worse. Can you please review my reports and give me your opinion on it? Is...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now