Q. My wife's benign thyroid nodule shows some changes in scan. Please give your opinion.

Dr. Padmesh Jain

My wife got scanned her thyroid by a novice user just for training purposes. She has been scanned in the hospital before, as part of an assessment of an autoinflammatory disease. At this time, they found a thyroid nodule (~12 mm) but no further investigation, as it seemed benign. Now, at the training scan, we observed the nodule had changed in shape, size, and it looks like there are some microcalcifications. But we are not the experts. We noticed it has changed. Could you give your second opinion on the attached images?

#

According to the american college of radiology thyroid imaging reporting and data systems (TIRADS), the nodule falls under category TR4, which defines it as moderately suspicious. However, as you mentioned, there is a change in morphology with the development of microcalcifications.

Microcalcifications are the feature of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid, and therefore, it is essential to rule out that for which a fine needle aspiration cytology and biopsy (FNAC-FNAB) is recommended. Further, I would like to know if any necrotic neck nodes were detected. Let me know the results. I hope and pray that the nodule turns out to be benign and not malignant.

FNAC-FNAB

Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology and biopsy.

Papillary carcinoma of thyroid and
benign colloid nodule.

| 

I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a con...  Read Full »

How is thyroid cancer diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old male. My recent ultrasound of thyroid revealed multiple bilateral ganglion formation in area IV. The most prominent was 11 x 8 mm diameter in lower right cervical area. It was mentioned homogeneous thyroid. My doctor suggests clinical follow up due to the number of gang...  Read Full »

I am having bleeding and pus discharge from toenail. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have toenail problem. I had bleeding and pus formation. I consulted a doctor and she had prescribed the following treatment. Tablet Novamox CV 625 three times a day for five days. Apply T-bact ointment twice a day. After taking the above treatment, the pus formation stopped. But there ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now