Q. Thyroid levels gets increased after delivery. Why?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 10, 2019

We have started seeing thyroid in my wife after her delivery before three months. We can see a mild swelling in her throat. After thyroid test we came to know that values were not in range, all have exceeded too much. We are afraid and do not know what will happen. Please find attached test reports and please suggest how much she has impacted and how this can be treated.

This is the second baby. Before five years after first baby birth, we saw the same in her throat, and it went away after the observation by a physician and some medicine, in around three months last time. Now we see again but with high range. Currently taking Calcium and Iron tables as suggested by doctor after baby birth.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I saw her reports, and it appears that she has postpartum thyroiditis. She can start tablet Carbimazole (Neo-Mercazole) 5 mg twice daily for four weeks and then repeat her thyroid function test to adjust her dose further. I hope you find my advice beneficial.

Her T3 and T4 are too high and TSH is very low. I am very afraid of it. Is it life threatening?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

No, it is not life-threatening if you take medication for it. There is a treatment for it, and you must take it as prescribed. I hope she does not have any other medical conditions. You must repeat the test after four weeks again to adjust the further dose of medications.

My wife has gained weight post pregnancy. How to reduce it?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 20 years old. Her weight is 59.5 kg and height is 4'9". Our baby is 15 months. His diet includes breastfeeding and solid food. My wife has post pregnancy overweight, especially in belly, buttocks and thighs. She eats a lot, but feels tired, exhausted and sleepy.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now